Footprint Enhancement?

Tonyvit

• New Members

Anyone know of any tried and true methods of enhancing some Grallator footprints? I have a 20" slab with several decent casts, but there is almost no contrast between the matrix and the prints. I am finally getting it ready for display...but it needs help!

Very low angle lighting should help to bring out subtle relief. Otherwise, I wouldn't enhance them in any way.

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

I would try dusting the print with a slightly contrasting material. Something temporary that could be blown or dusted out if not liked. B)

Please do not put any permanent enhancement on it. It can cause mold and fungus on it and completely destroy the track. I have seen it happen before and its not pretty.

Very low angle lighting should help to bring out subtle relief. Otherwise, I wouldn't enhance them in any way.

I second this.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

• New Members

I read on some museum site that slate dressing is often used. It appears that "slate dressing' is some sort of oil based solution that will give that wet look without obscuring any details. I understand the purist point of view, but even in low lighting they are difficult to see.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure it is easily reversible. Chalk outlines can work, or dextrin mixed with water and painted on the fossil. Or a 50/50 mix of elmers and water, but that can yellow over time.

I knew one guy who used melted butter to make the contrast, just for photographs.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Perhaps a photo that can be digitally enhanced to be displayed next to your slab (like a small 'map')?

Otherwise, low angled light is the preferred method.

I have a slab of large bird tracks from the Hell Creek Fm. that has had a removable coloration applied. The contrast makes them more displayable, but I still don't like the look much. These tracks, though, have good relief (as do the ripple marks and vine impressions on the plate), so some day I will remove the coloration and display it with oblique lighting.

I wonder whether, in your case, outlining the tracks with something reversible (or even coloring the background, rather than the tracks) might not do the trick?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

At times in the past, I have used local application of muriatic acid to etch the matrix around prints. This provides some contrast as it will lighten the surrounding matrix without touching the prints. Apply small amounts with a tooth brush, let stand for a few seconds, and rinse off. Don't do this inside! And remember, with acids, less is more.

I use egg whites on my fossils that need a bit of contrast. It's 100% washable and it will not hurt anything.

But in this application i would lean more towards lighting, or both...

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

You might also try Future floor polish thinned with water. Again, it's something that can be washed away later and is not permanent.

I use egg whites on my fossils that need a bit of contrast. It's 100% washable and it will not hurt anything.

But in this application i would lean more towards lighting, or both...

Yikes! That sounds like an invitation to things like cockroaches and mold and godknowswhat.

Hahaha, not yet......

I was suggested this by a well known collector and friend. Obviously don't use in large quantities. This application is basically for smaller specimens. Just don't lick it.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• 4 weeks later...