Tough Cleanup

Frank Menser

Kind of proud of this one. I got this D. monstrosus (Body 3") with most of the thorax and the horns still encased in limestone. I had no air compressor so the work was done with an electric etcher. Had to remove the horns to work on the body and then later reattach them. What a job!

post-1313-1236095340_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1236095419_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

BEAUTIFUL trilobite. Nice cleanup work by the way it was very smart of you to remove the "horns" before you started the cleaning work

Great to see one of those that is known to be 100% genuine. Thanks, and great job!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ThanksI got this back in 1994 from ART BY GOD in Miami.

Hey Frank, I gotta say thats a purty dang good job using only an electric engraver!!! Wow!!! You would be dangerous with some air equipment!

RB

Darn Frank! That's awesome! I got so excited I think I peed alittle. I love sea bugs, and that ones sweet. Great prep as well.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Darn Frank! That's awesome! I got so excited I think I peed alittle. I love sea bugs, and that ones sweet. Great prep as well.

Holy snarge that was funny!!! laughed out loud at this post!!!

RB

Frank,

Holy ****! I can't believe you did that with an engraver. I hate engravers... I'm spoiled by airchisels. RB's right... if you can do that with an engraver, imagine what you can do with an airscribe or microblaster...

Bobby

Hey Frank, I dont want to highjack your thread, but this Tough clean up and how fragile reminds me of some echiniods awhile back. I will start a new thread. But ditto to what bobby said when he ditto'ed RBs post. Ha!

RB

I guess I'm very old school. Didn't have all the fancy equipment back inthe day and to be honest, couldn't afford to lay out the cash when it did. So learned to make do.

Here's a large crab (Archeogeron) from Argentina - 4.5" carapace I did a few years back. Man...every bit as hard as the Moroccan matrix!

post-1313-1236343489_thumb.jpg

And John, I love bugs too. Here are a couple more fer ya.

post-1313-1236344067_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1236344023_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus
I guess I'm very old school. Didn't have all the fancy equipment back inthe day and to be honest, couldn't afford to lay out the cash when it did. So learned to make do.

I know that feeling. When I was a kid, I used to prep with a little 2oz hammer and pin vice on very hard limestones. Once again, great job!

I know that feeling. When I was a kid, I used to prep with a little 2oz hammer and pin vice on very hard limestones. Once again, great job!

Hammer? You had a hammer? I had to use a rock, after walking two miles in the snow to get it (uphill both ways)! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice! That species is one I need for my collection :D but there are so many fakes out there

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Very nice! That species is one I need for my collection :D but there are so many fakes out there

Yeah it makes it hard to sell fossils cause' if you find an amazing one everybody assumes it's a fake

Here's a large crab (Archeogeron) from Argentina - 4.5" carapace I did a few years back. Man...every bit as hard as the Moroccan matrix!

post-1313-1236343489_thumb.jpg

And John, I love bugs too. Here are a couple more fer ya.

post-1313-1236344067_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1236344023_thumb.jpg

NIce bugs, what's the big one?

post-1313-1236435614_thumb.jpg

Isotellus gigas 4" NY

John,

The one that is pyritised is a 51/2" Trimerus dekagi from Moravia, NY.

The group (3" to 4" individuals) I purchased as an undescribed species at the time-probably Asaphus. My biggest bug is a Accadopardoxites that measures 15".

Wow, you have some really great trilos Frank.