The Lady Likes Amber.

PaleoRon

Barefootgirl says, "I've been wanting to see some other specimens of Amber. "

How can I refuse.

I'll start with a large piece of Columbian copal and add on as I dig specimens out of my various amber boxes.

This is the largest and best Columbian copal specimen that I have. It weighs about 456 grams, or just over one pound.

post-210-1236212410_thumb.jpg

post-210-1236212423_thumb.jpg

post-210-1236212433_thumb.jpg

post-210-1236212441_thumb.jpg

very awesome!! I would like to buy some amber eventually but have heard there is a lot of fake stuff out there. Do you have any tips on buying it or good sources to buy from.

very awesome!! I would like to buy some amber eventually but have heard there is a lot of fake stuff out there. Do you have any tips on buying it or good sources to buy from.

There is a lot of fake stuff out there. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

I may be getting rid of some of my collection in the near future.

My amber is for the birds!

From left to right:

Columbian copal, Pleistocene (large feather inclusion)

Dominican amber, Oligocene (small, fragmented feather and debris inclusions)

New Jersey amber, Cretaceous (very small feather inclusion)

post-423-1236215480_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This one is bird food:

Dominican amber, Oligocene (male ant)

post-423-1236221087_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

WOW that is absolutely amazing, very beautiful specimen. To have a piece of that quality is unbelievable. All I have found have been cloudy, yours is ................ I am lost for words, it is ........... :drool: got to go wipe the drool now

Guest Nicholas

Lets see:

I have a TINY TINY fragment from the NJ, dated to be approx 90-93/4 million years old.

I don't have a comparison photo but it is rests on my pinky finger nail. This photo was a close up photo which was given to me by the dealer upon purchase:

post-163-1236224023_thumb.jpg

That be an insect leg inside, there is also some woody material in there.

There is a lot of fake stuff out there. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

I may be getting rid of some of my collection in the near future.

let me know when you decide to sell some off

Guest Nicholas

The price of real amber has gone up a huge amount, I've seen pieces as small as mine without anything inside besides dirt sell for 65 dollars.

Here's mine. From what I can tell it's real. Passes hot needle test, has cracks, and doesn't taste like plastic (after a wash, of course). It's .7" tall, if I remember correctly.

Nick

post-741-1236226350_thumb.jpg

This is my largest piece of Dominican. It weighs 300 grams. It has a nice shape and it is clear inside. I'm tempted to polish it but I really like the natural specimens.

post-210-1236226603_thumb.jpg

post-210-1236226614_thumb.jpg

post-210-1236226623_thumb.jpg

I use wet/dry sandpaper and work from 100 grit to finer and finer grits and finish with cotton cloth.

Ron, I'm no lady, but I like your amber specimens! (are we clear here, barefootgirl? :P )

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I like that redness. If it was polished up, do you think the red would stay, or do you think it would turn more...amber?

Nick

It's hard to say. Some pieces are red all the way through and with others it is just a thin layer on the outer rind. There is even a small chance that it has blue or green somewhere inside.

OOOOOHHHHH! Thank you! Thank you! I love that first specimen. I really do love amber :wub:. You are awesome and I'm blowing you a kiss right now!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Ron, I'm no lady, but I like your amber specimens! (are we clear here, barefootgirl? :P )

I am sorry about that! Well, no not really. :P

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Here are a couple of pieces from Borneo. This is found in a Miocene coal layer. The two pieces combined weigh 655 grams. One piece shows two very different colors.

post-210-1236229046_thumb.jpgpost-210-1236229054_thumb.jpgpost-210-1236229062_thumb.jpgpost-210-1236229068_thumb.jpgpost-210-1236229079_thumb.jpg

post-210-1236229088_thumb.jpg

I really love the raw specimens. Thanks for sharing those! :drool:

Alfred North Whithead