Authenticity Of Moroccan Hybodus Spines

Cam28

Not long ago I found that these are the most common Hybodus fossils available, and they sure can demand a high fee (don't think I've seen one for less than $50). Anyways was just curious if anyone has experience handling them (or expert opinion) and know if they're replicas or not. Here's one example https://www.fossilera.com/fossils/3-7-hybodus-shark-dorsal-spine-cretaceous. Please & thank you.

Edited by Cam28

Most of the ones I've seen are genuine although being morrocan I'm sure restored and to lesser a degree fake ones exist. I think there are enough real spines available that making fake ones is not economically practical. I would watch out for restoration and putting two together to make one.

I have seen many of these spines and have a fairly good collection myself. This is one item I have not seen faked, although as Troodon said, I have seen a large number with both minor and major restoration. There are also 3 species coming out of Kem Kem. the two most common both have ridges along their entire length, while the third has hundreds of small knobs covering the entire surface. Here are a couple I have that illustrate this.

Hope this helps.

post-2399-0-00635800-1425048414_thumb.jpg

post-2399-0-20430200-1425048447_thumb.jpg

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Not long ago I found that these are the most common Hybodus fossils available, and they sure can demand a high fee (don't think I've seen one for less than $50). Anyways was just curious if anyone has experience handling them (or expert opinion) and know if they're replicas or not. Here's one example https://www.fossilera.com/fossils/3-7-hybodus-shark-dorsal-spine-cretaceous. Please & thank you.

That one you linked to was real with no restoration, compositing or repair. It did sell for a little less than $50. I've never seen a completely fake one, but many of the ones I do see are composites of 2 or more spines. Same story with many of the larger teeth out of the Tegana Formation, they are very often composites.

Very nice spines there sseth.

That one you linked to was real with no restoration, compositing or repair. It did sell for a little less than $50. I've never seen a completely fake one, but many of the ones I do see are composites of 2 or more spines. Same story with many of the larger teeth out of the Tegana Formation, they are very often composites.

That's good and bad news at the same time! I and I'm sure others feel composites taint the integrity of fossils. But thanks for the helpful tip and everyone else that pitched in.

I agree that it is a real spine. If you go to the Tucson shows, you should be able find a decent spine for less than that price. You should be able to find Hybodus teeth from various sites but fin spines are uncommon at most sites where the teeth are found - tough to find a cephalic hook too, especially a complete one. The weird thing about the Kem Kem Beds is that you can get fin spines from there but you never see any teeth. Either the matrix is difficult to break down for screening or no one screens for the smaller teeth.

You should ask some of the guys who hunt the Hell Creek Formation a lot. Hybodont teeth, cephalic spines, and the occasional fin spine are found in it. You should also let some New Jersey and European collectors know you're interested in a fin spine. You might be able to trade for one.