What Do You Find In A Jacket From 1965?

rejd

I was at the Tyrrell yesterday and had finished up the Aarhinoceratops vertebra that I had been working on so I went into the unprepped storage room to find something else to work on. there is a cabinet with specimens that are on the priority list that need to be done right away. When I was looking at what was available I saw a jacket with the date of 1965 on it but nothing else. No one knew what it was and this had me intrigued. The reason for it being in the cabinet was two fold. First it was from the centrosaurus bone bed and Dr. Caleb Brown is currently working on material from there and secondly, the jacket was very poorly done and they wanted it prepped soon to prevent further damage. Here is the unopened jacket.

86d26359bb77025a84420c28ee7303a84fcb989f
When carrying it back to the lab I could tell just how bad the jacket was. It was flexing and bending in the middle which is never good! I got it back and quickly opened it up. They used a lovely sea foam green toilet paper as a separator which you will see in the coming photos. Once opened, it was quickly identified as a parietal bar.
cf3f6dd5887f4df7928d077c5a976b16_r.jpg
the parietal bar runs along the center of the frill from the top of the skull to the top of the frill as can been seen in the above photo. Here are some photos of the newly opened jacket. The toilet paper was very much stuck to the bone and took a bit of finess to get it off without pulling bone with it.
bf436c4095b87c7a20a08ead2b0820075c39d558dc916b9178278229230fdfb726094aa2a627d2f9
9a616f9e7c29812a261c50a9502af41d2ccd03fc9a726559c97db2a48b52da286e6b14b618bacc1a783267390572421782921f220e4eef8ee038e02c35a36ab7970576f620ce8f192e63294361e97fd9
It took some time to carefully scrape the bone surface to remove the tissue paper and matrix but it is coming along nicely. The bone is very fractured with some large gaps. I am sure the way it was jacketed contributed to some of the damage. After a few hours of work the top surface was clean an ready to be consolidated. I used quite a bit of paraloid (at about a 10% mixture) to hold it all together.
03336e4b946475b52c8680d728992ffda7180cf2f8e36ab395a3701f25308daa26472135a2a10f88
fcd36a669ad07070224685c221722d7b4684db65c36364ce9900762c2e7c8ce32a4925a2f192aacd7c3264c97c7ae2398c52f524d396ea0eabd1533b
Here it is after the consolidation.
aa9368579d9d70ba28b08e1d2fb720da0427a676d9d26db9aa7092348a8255217323d9db46358b4cae03628693d87f5f27588eff29992eeb872064242c5269f9ab7542958672622cbea9a16f486f1ed5
the next step will be to make a suuport jacket for it so I can flip it over and work on the other side. Once both sides are cleaned and consolidate, I can then proceed to take it apart and clean the cracks and large gaps so it can be assembled properly. I will post more pics as the process continues. Stay tuned......
  • I found this Informative 3

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Looks like fun! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the past and present. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Good luck.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

1965....I was expecting a Nehru jacket!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I am glad you are sharing this with us. Very interesting!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I had one of those.......This by any chance don't give away our age ,,,,,does it, just for the record I got mine in 68.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Great post.....I love this stuff...can't wait for the updates

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Looks like fun! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the past and present. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Good luck.

It is fun. Although the hard part is yet to come. I can't wait to see it finished either.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

Very interesting! Thanks for starting this thread. It should be intriguing to watch the progress.

It is indeed. The unknown is why I decided to do this one. stay tuned......

Haha, I had to look that one up. I had no idea what a Nehru jacket was. You learn something new every day.

I am glad you are sharing this with us. Very interesting!

I hope you will enjoy the updates.

Great post.....I love this stuff...can't wait for the updates

Thanks. I love to share this stuff as well.

What a mess...but I can tell you are not intimidated by the challenge!

As for mid-60's aesthetics; minty-fresh toilet paper?!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What a mess...but I can tell you are not intimidated by the challenge!

As for mid-60's aesthetics; minty-fresh toilet paper?!

It is certainly a mess but as you state, I am not itimidated by the challenge. I am looking forward to getting back to it.

Apparantly the minty-fresh toilet paper was quite popular in the mid sixties as a separation layer.

Apparantly the minty-fresh toilet paper was quite popular in the mid sixties as a separation layer.

...and I'm sure they were all smoking menthol cigarettes while applying the jacket...

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Why would tp have '"taste" ??????? :blush:

Great post! we love to see what the real people do with real Fossils. :wub:

I had one of those.......This by any chance don't give away our age ,,,,,does it, just for the record I got mine in 68.

Awesome! Did you have a Sonny Bono buffalo hide vest too?

Grüße,

Awesome! Did you have a Sonny Bono buffalo hide vest too?

You guys aren't dating yourselves at all! LOL. Your comments make me feel young. :D

Actually I was born in 1970...just an old soul.

Grüße,

Actually I was born in 1970...just an old soul.

Heh...

My jacket from '65 has a ticket stub in the pocket from the Philadelphia Convention Hall, for some band called "The Rolling Stones"...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Heh...

My jacket from '65 has a ticket stub in the pocket from the Philadelphia Convention Hall, for some band called "The Rolling Stones"...

Aww wOw man...you saw Brian Jones! Far out.....

Grüße,

Aww wOw man...you saw Brian Jones! Far out.....

My sentiments exactly... Early Stones. The level of awe and respect just went up another notch, auspex.

Went back today and got some more work done. Created a support jacket so I could flip it over.

42a16e90722b82292befb3a08c5d38cc3125f5b8

here is the other side.

6c0267699f79f2048f92452fde8a66c047767735

unwrapped.

8eb26e595f7f02a48002802ee6e4ef90d9d5ea87

Its crazy some of the techniques they used back then. This side has lacquer and latex rubber with some kind of tape. The tape was a pain to remove and the only way to remove the latex rubber is manually.

65a36a3094877219233b8c6b25c728140c03f8dc

The bone look pretty bad but I still think it will be nice when done. There was a another jacket inside this one so there is more of this parietal. I haven't opened the other piece yet so unsure of what part it is.

7e416e9f7c248e212c1be85d76b5c81441185f5e

fe3260d9b073e2458c421c2beb0d28a352caa254

Ill keep you all posted with my progress. I forgot to take pictures of the prep work that was done today. I will be back next week and will get pics then.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I complain about having to deal with my splintery shale specimens but you make it look like child's play.