Not Fossil, Cow Or Bison Jaw

rejd

Hi all. Found this on the weekend in the badlands. It appears to be fairly old. It was with a mostly complete skeleton eroding out of the side of a hill. It is fairly heavy for its size, I think anyway, at almost 2lbs. Any thoughts on what it came from? Let me know if you require better pictures or pictures of other features.

post-6472-0-31396600-1427935340_thumb.jpg

post-6472-0-11621300-1427935346_thumb.jpg

post-6472-0-39026100-1427935362_thumb.jpg

post-6472-0-99158700-1427935370_thumb.jpg

Edited by rejd

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Looks like a cow jawbone to me...but let the experts tell us...

I was hopin' for camel, but the stylid says Bos/Bison. The teeth are worn so far down that I had to look hard; old individual.

"Eroding out" speaks of some age to it, at least.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex. I do beleive it has been there a while. There was a lot more of this induvidual there as well. Several vertebrae were visible, at least the neural spines were, so if this is bison, I will likely go back and collect some of it.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

I've no opinion as to cow or bison, but it's a nearly complete left ramus of the mandible (note that the symphysis, on the rt. side of the top pic, is unfused - it's fused in horses). Only the ventral margin of the ramus is broken off. The teeth still present are left p4 to m3 (fourth premolar and all three molars). At the rt. side of the bottom pic, you can see the alveoli for the roots of the missing third premolar. I disagree with Auspex that it was old - to me the wear suggests it was an adult in its prime.

...to me the wear suggests it was an adult in its prime.

The extent to which the stylid is incorporated into the tooth cross section suggests, to me anyway, that it is rather worn down. Not senile certainly (there is still a good deal of crown height remaining), but well worn.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks, Harry; your "older adult" image illustrates what I was trying to describe.

post-423-0-01123100-1428003910_thumb.jpg

Thanks all. So is it safe to assume Bos then? It sure looks like it to me.

Thanks all. So is it safe to assume Bos then? It sure looks like it to me.

Yeah, Holocene, but I wonder how old?

Awesome! I wonder how I would go about dating it?

"Awesome! I wonder how I would go about dating it?"

Give it a call on the phone and ask nicely?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

"Awesome! I wonder how I would go about dating it?"

Give it a call on the phone and ask nicely?

Bahahaha, that just made my day.

Anything else in that stratum?