Did I Damage This Cystoid?

Lmshoemaker

Greetings.

I am worried about this cystoid I am working on. The plates on the side look like they are absent, as there is a noticeable dip where they should be. I suppose they could be tucked in or have washed out, but I am worried I may have destroyed them, perhaps they got stuck to some sticky matrix? Can anyone give me their opinion?

post-5952-0-00254700-1428019987_thumb.jpg

I also should mention there is a crack and deformation on the stem, the axis of this crack runs right through where the plates should be.

Edited by Cryptidsaurian

I don't see a problem; it's nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't see a problem; it's nice!

I think it looks good.

Really? That's a relief. I looked at it a bit closer, unless the plates are disarticulated and tucked in, there is no chance they are present. I can't tell if it was me that did it or if it was natural, but looking at it again, I think it may be fine. My only fear is that I am working on this and pieces like this for a friend and really don't want to mess up. The matrix is really variable and I have made a few mistakes already which worries me.

These Osgood cystoids are often flattened on one side. Looks good to me.

Oh good, there appears to be a little bit of folding along the region in question; I will have to air abrade to find out if it is flattened or missing though.

• 4 weeks later...

I would want to see a clearer pic, without water, but what the others say is encouraging.

• 2 weeks later...

I would want to see a clearer pic, without water, but what the others say is encouraging.

Did more work, the plates were definitely gone, not sure if I did it but I probably did. That said, the guy I prepped for didn't seemed to mind and it still looked decent with the damage.

Lincoln,

Lesson learned - start from an inch or so from the fossil, and work your way in. :)

All preppers have done damage to fossils, at one point or another.

Live and learn.

I'd say you are doing good work, and are getting better every time I see one of your latest prep jobs.

Well done.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me