How To Create Texture On Paleo Sculp?

Erubin79

• New Members

I used any combo of search terms up on top that I could think of so my apologies if this is a stupid newbie question!!

I just ordered my first batch of Paleo Sculp and before it gets here and we try to start using it I'd like to figure out how to texturize it so that it blends better than looking like finger prints. It's my son's fossil (a piece of an Edmontosaurus ilium) and he wants the Paelo Sculp to deliberately be a contrasting color but I thought some matching texture might look nicer than just leaving it smooth and/or finger printed.

Thank you!

Alot will depend on what texture you are trying to duplicate. Different types of cloth can give texture as well as different grits of sandpaper. You can also vary the texture by pressing it into the sculpt and then pulling straight away or slightly dragging it as it is removed. I have found that by making whatever you use wet first it helps it to release from the sculpt.

Alot will depend on what texture you are trying to duplicate. Different types of cloth can give texture as well as different grits of sandpaper. You can also vary the texture by pressing it into the sculpt and then pulling straight away or slightly dragging it as it is removed. I have found that by making whatever you use wet first it helps it to release from the sculpt.

+1

Pictures would help too.

Sometimes i will make rubber latex texture molds. Paint the rubber latex on any surface you are trying to replicate, let it dry, then peel it off. The flexibility of the latex allows you too place texture around curves and in tight spots.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

One of a large variety of tool you can use is the bristles of a brush pressed into the putty vertically. There are as many variations possible as there are brushes available. A toothbrush is often useful.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

plastic wrap can make very nice textures also :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Here's my 2 cents worth; Wet your finger to smooth out the surface, also sponges can make many diff textures. Slide them across, dapel, a lot of choices. Art shop and even walley world should have small assortment packs with 4 or 5 diff sponges for many looks. Also everyones ideas are all great, the benefit of a collective intelligence.

Another suggestion is if you want a smooth texture, wear latex gloves to prevent fingerprints.I'd also do this with Ziggie's suggestion of wetting your fingers.

There was a deal, Dragon skin from Smooth on, that you put on an area, and when it dries, can be used as a stamp so you can use it to texture the area.

Sound good?

Jeff

Lots of really good ideas from a smart bunch of folks. I don't know if this will help, but me being into the crabs and those critters having pustuals, it took me a long time to figure out how to replicate that. After I have my putty the way I want it and it gets time to 'paint', I use a small tip art brush and using the acrylics I use without adding any water, just the way it comes out of the tube, I dab a small spot onto the area and pull back and that leaves a little spot that looks almost exactly like a pustual. I keep doing that till it all looks 'normal'. Good luck.

RB

• I found this Informative 1