Fossil Pearl?

frankh8147

I recently found this is a New Jersey Cretaceous site (Big Brook area) and have heard fossil pearls have been found here but have never seen one. I tried to research it and came upon this thread http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/39008-could-be-an-egg/?hl=%20fossil%20%20pearl. I read it twice and as a result, now have a splitting headache so I wanted to know if anyone can save me from density tests etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Frank

post-11657-0-50783100-1428681980_thumb.jpg

post-11657-0-41169700-1428682012_thumb.jpg

Also of note, it is non-metallic, looks completely round, and is slightly lighter in color than it appears to be in the pictures.

It's a candidate, based on appearance.

post-423-0-42365100-1428683350_thumb.jpg

Does it seem "a little light" in weight?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You had said non-metallic, did you do a magnet test? Hang a magnet from a piece of string a few inches long then wait till it is still then see if there is any response to your object. I had something similar (cannot find where it is now to which I say 'had') and then came to believe it was hematite at the time.

It seems slightly light in weight although it's hard to tell due to it's small size. Ckmullin, I just tried that and didn't see any movement.

Light weight is good!

LINK

Congratulations! :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the link, up close, it looks almost exactly like that one, surface, size and color.

Whaat? :)

I'll play skeptic. Based on the images, so far, it's too much of an assumption to say this is a fossil pearl. That, and the fact it looks too perfectly round. Frank, if you take it to someone qualified to judge what it is after examining it under a microscope, and they say it's a fossil pearl; then I'll be first in line to shout its perfection. :D It would be an awesome find, if that's what it is. Try to get better images.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I can do that. Any ideas of where I can take it? I'm not to far from Trenton NJ, I saw from the other thread there is a museum there but don't have any contacts.

• 4 years later...

Hey @frankh8147 ,

Did this thing turn out to be a pearl? That is pretty darn cool.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

4 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Hey @frankh8147 ,

Did this thing turn out to be a pearl? That is pretty darn cool.

It's the dreaded 'inconclusive.' Color and weight look good but we haven't found a way to really test it. I do still have it in case an opportunity arises.

15 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

It's the dreaded 'inconclusive.' Color and weight look good but we haven't found a way to really test it. I do still have it in case an opportunity arises.

Well, pearls form when something foreign irritates the oyster, such as a sand grain. Maybe if they made some CT Scans of it, you could find out if it’s a pearl. Should be a pearl if there’s something in the center.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/ct-scans-reveal-early-human-fossils-inside-rock/?redirect=1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 hour ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Well, pearls form when something foreign irritates the oyster, such as a sand grain. Maybe if they made some CT Scans of it, you could find out if it’s a pearl. Should be a pearl if there’s something in the center.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/ct-scans-reveal-early-human-fossils-inside-rock/?redirect=1

It probably would put that to bed but it's a little expensive for me (especially considering that I found some blister pearls from the NJ Cretaceous that we know are pearls). 

I'm watching that other thread regarding these and see if I can pick up any info I didn't know when I first posted this one.

I'm going to take another look at it under magnification when I get home but it might be tough considering it was found in free matrix.

6 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

It probably would put that to bed but it's a little expensive for me (especially considering that I found some blister pearls from the NJ Cretaceous that we know are pearls). 

I'm watching that other thread regarding these and see if I can pick up any info I didn't know when I first posted this one.

I'm going to take another look at it under magnification when I get home but it might be tough considering it was found in free matrix.

What characteristics on your other pearls made them identifiable as such?

10 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

What characteristics on your other pearls made them identifiable as such?

Only the fact that it's actually attached to the shell. This is a different type of pearl though so it didn't help me too much with this one. 

Here is an old thread of mine...

10 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Only the fact that it's actually attached to the shell. This is a different type of pearl though so it didn't help me too much with this one. 

Here is an old thread of mine...

Yeah I’ve seen that thread before. I didn’t realize there were many types of pearl though, I thought it was only the bivalves and brachiopods that made them.