What Kind Of Rock Is This ? It Is Very Weard Looking

matthew textor

Hi everyone

this is Matthew

can anyone tell me what this rock is ?

it is dark blue and is very heavy and it is very hard I found it in the Creek called 28 mile creek which is next to 28th Creek Rd ,Kennedy N.Y.

here is 2 new photos of the rock I found

post-530-1237075532_thumb.jpg

post-530-1237075593_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone

this is Matthew

it is dark blue and is very heavy and it is very hard

here is 2 photos of the rock I found

Matthew where did you find it how big is it. Could be flint I have several pieces that are blue from West Texas

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest solius symbiosus

Good eye! It is hard to discern from the pic what kind of rock it is, but there is some complex geology going on in the rock. There is what appears to be a small reverse fault. It is a keeper.

It might be an erratic, and if so, it is probably igneous, or metamorphic. Whatever it is, it is nice.

Could it be Devonian Bluestone? It's mined in New York as a popular building material for pavers, tile, countertops etc. Just a guess....really nice stone!

• 3 weeks later...

The color and structure strongly suggest the mineral Sodalite. I am not familiar with the geology of your area to know if it occurs there. Another thought for that color is Azurite, an ore of copper but it allters to green Malachite and i see no sign of it doing so in your photos so I have some doubts.

Be true to the reality you create.

There are not a lot of deep blue minerals. My first thought was lapis lazuli but it's a fairly soft mineral. My second thought was sodalite, which is a fairly durable mineral and fits well with the color of your rock.

There are not a lot of deep blue minerals. My first thought was lapis lazuli but it's a fairly soft mineral. My second thought was sodalite, which is a fairly durable mineral and fits well with the color of your rock.

I thought diet soda as well :D (Soda Light) ha ha

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I thought diet soda as well :D (Soda Light) ha ha

No, with that mineral you get acid burns when you hold it in your hand for very long and under the right conditions it can melt the calcium shell off of an egg. It's pretty gross and that's no yolk.

It looks like the pictures are dark, can you get some strong light on them to bring out more detail and color? Have you seen any other rocks like this in the creek you hunt? See if you can chip off a piece to examine the less weathered interior, it could be weathering to a blue color but be a different color inside.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest solius symbiosus

I thought that the first set of pics were a better representation. Those more clearly showed the structure.

Hi everyone

this is Matthew

it is dark blue and is very heavy and it is very hard I found it in the Creek called 28 mile creek which is next to 28th Creek Rd ,Kennedy N.Y.

here is 2 new photos of the rock I found

I have an arrowhead that is similar in color so it could be flint.

• 2 weeks later...