Fossil Preparation Advices And Tools

HighSide

Hello everyone,

I have explored pretty widely this topic, which was very helpful: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/9182-fossil-prep-workshop/but I have to say that I m still not quite sure what I need to do to get started.

I have been to the Jura region (which gave the name to the Jurassic period correct if I am wrong) to hunt for some fossil and I have found some pretty nice piece of ammonite in an inferior Oxfordian and Aalenian strata.

I have tried to work on them to extract and clean them as much as possible from the matrix, but I suffer from a big lack of equipment.

I have used a bit of chloridric acid and I have also a dremel with the basic tools that comes with it but unfortunately it doesn't look effective and precise enough and I don't want to damage it.

I am looking for a technique and a tool to prepare my fossils, but I don't have an important budget (most of the pens are around 400 each) and I am quite lost with all the different types of "air pens", "air chisels", "micro jacks", "Sand blaster units" etc… can anyone help me out ?

here is what I am trying to prepare:

before:

322818photo1.jpg

after:

544621photo.png

(for example the inside of the ammonite is very delicate to work in and the matrix is quite hard. How can I remove it without damaging it?)

382777photo2.jpg

356961photo3.jpg

Thanks in advance for your comments and advices.

Bests,

Arno

Others who collect in the Jura might have advice, too. I know that the brown Jura, which your top ammonite seems to be might require an air abrasive unit (en francais= la sableuse)

My predecessors have already given enough good advice, so I don't need to add much more except to say that I have the impression that the last ammonite you have shown here is probably not worth preparing. I have the feeling that the inner whorls are no longer existant.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks you very much for all this great material and for the translation. By personal website you mean it is yours jpc ? I think I might need to start to invest in an engraving pen and an air abrasive unit. Are they the same thing with different tip or the air abrasive pen and the engraving pen are two different tools?

I have seen material like the Crystal Mark MV-241 as an abrasive unit or Chicago Pneumatic CP 9361/ARO 8315-B/PaleoToolMicroJack for the engraving "pens" but they are very expensive for most of them (seems that it is possible to find a CP for a fair price though).

I am very new to this and learning as much as possible, it seems that there is a lot of subtleties even with the type and size of the sand used. (I have found this useful PDF I am sure it will help someone http://vertpaleo.org/PDFS/a4/a4715106-3a9e-442c-9118-39a332e370b3.pdf)

For the last ammonite I have carved a bit more into the matrix and it seems to still there when I get deeper inside like if the ammonite took a conical form. What do you think from this pic ?

376130photo.jpg

Edited by HighSide

Bests,

Arno

I am quite scared to use screws I really want to preserve as much as possible the specimen and I think you might lack a lot of precision with it.

Bests,

Arno

I am quite scared to use screws I really want to preserve as much as possible the specimen and I think you might lack a lot of precision with it.

With practice, it is VERY precise. But, you have to practice a lot. I got to the point where I could prepare an entire ammonite with this method without a single tool mark. I would never give up my ARO and go back to that method, but it worked.

First, let's make a clarification.

Pneumatic pens ( or air scribes or engraving pens) are like mini jack hammers - using compressed air to drive the needle in and out.

Pneumatic pencil engravers/grinders are air driven rotary grinding types of tools , kind of like a dremel.

Rotary tools can be electric or, Pneumatic, for large matrix removal, buffing or polishing. The wire brush and engraving tips are helpful. These work in a drill like circular motion.

Air brushes or Air erasers are air powered mini sand blasters. they can be used to remove thin layers of shale covering the fossils.

Pneumatic pens, such as the CP-9361 can be found on eBay for some decent prices. Don't overlook the CP-9160 or the CP-710. for starting out.

The Aro pens are around $100.00

There are other brands, Sioux, Bluebird, Florida Pneumatic, Texas Pneumatic.etc. That can be had for less than $150.00

Also, check flea markets and tag sales. You never know what you will find.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I started prepping ammonites with a small ball-peen hammer and a long screw. It's a very slow process but it is cheap to get started.

Me too... my first prep job was an Oligocene dog skull done with a drywall screw and a small hammer.

Thanks for this answers its much clearer now, it was very confusing to see the differences since english is not my first language and I am new to this. I just got a compressor from a friend who don't use it so I just need the pens to start out.

Is ARO a brand of pneumatic pen ? As anyone heard about the CEDREY UT176RL? There is two of them for sale (secondhand) for a very cheap price near where I live.

Bests,

Arno