Tiny Tim The Tumido

RJB

I got this little fellow in a trade. I thought I could prep this little guy out quite quickly, but no! Lots and lots of problems with this one. Very soft in many places. Every little dark spot you see is a hole in the legs and both parts of the left arm and who knows how many more there will be. Ive worked worked with hollow stuff from time to time, but absolutely nothing like this!!! I may have met my match? Ha!!! its gunna be a challenge to get this thing finished, but in the end it will be purty cool. This concretion measures 3 1/2 inches at its widest.

RB

post-171-0-40952000-1431643443_thumb.jpg

RB, could you inject a filler into Tiny Tim's legs to try and prevent an explosion, rendering him a octoplegic....?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Wow!

Tiny Tim looks like a terrifically tricky task to tackle.

One of if not the smallest Tumido I have ever seen!

Funny I started a small one too thinking it would be easy. It's stickyus maximus.

Slowly does it!

Good luck!

Yes fossilized6s, believe you me I have filled, or at least the best that I could, but even today while removing more rock I had litteral 'cave ins'!!! Lots more glue today! and yes Dr. Mud, there were some area's that were 'sticky'! But he sure is cute. Here is an update photo, but there is still a lot of work to do!!! I had no idea this little crab was going to take this kind of time?

RB

post-171-0-61033500-1431814573_thumb.jpg

Amazing work RJB. Bet you had to consider every stroke of the scribe for this fella.

I think yours is the smallest Tumido I have seen. There is this one from the Extinctions site:

post-11936-0-79441400-1431828442_thumb.jpg

But I think yours is smaller. The Extinctions concretion is also 3.5 inches across but yours is a more complete crab and hence smaller.

Looking forward to seeing Tim when he is finished.

Wow, that is a tiny little feller... best of luck! Cant wait to see him.

Hey RJB

That is a cool little guy. I for one like little crabs as well as those big guys. Have you tried feeding thin super glue into the holes with those very fine tips for the glue. Looks like that will be very cool when you get everything exposed.

Hey Steve. That is exactly what I did. The thing was, the holes came first, with the glue second. Im not too bad at fixing fossils so it should turn out purty good? I just wish I had more time. Right now im finishing up some of my B-Grade crabs to take on my trip to help pay for the trip. Nice to chat at ya again.

RB

Aaaaalrighty then. I did some 'smoothing' out of the rock and then I did a bit of 2 part putty on all the holes and such. its still got a little ways to go to finish up the 2 part putty and then do a bit of coloring to hide that, then I will finish off the smoothing and this little guy will be done! WooooooHooooooo!!!

RB

post-171-0-20221600-1432248216_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-69013100-1432248279_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work again RJB!

It amazes me how quickly you can achieve this. My approach is slowly but surely.

You sure know your way around a crab concretion!

Was this all done with the ME-9100?

He's looking great, but I am curious why you havent followed the legs a bit closer to the carapace... Are you just keeping the "plane"...

Hey Doctor Mud. I did most of the work with the 9100 but did the closeup work and finer detail work with the ARO.

Hey 6ix. for me, getting closer to the carapace becomes rather difficult as the rock goes deeper and deeper. It really depends on just how the legs are 'stacked' or 'spread' out.

RB

That makes sence - I'm still greedily chasing bits of crab in all manner of directions...

Hey 6ix. for me, getting closer to the carapace becomes rather difficult as the rock goes deeper and deeper. It really depends on just how the legs are 'stacked' or 'spread' out.

• 7 months later...

Ok, this took quite awhile but I do have a bad habit of starting a prep job and then put it aside for later. ive been on quite the prep attack lately and have been finishing up some older stuff too. I finally got to this little guy today. I had to do a fair bit of acrylic work and im not an artist so I just did the best that I could do. This little guy will be a really nice addition to my Tumido collection. I now have very small to very large with all the middle sized ones too for my collection. Oh, a bic lighter for scale.

RB

post-171-0-50414500-1452465511_thumb.jpg

Ok, this took quite awhile but I do have a bad habit of starting a prep job and then put it aside for later. ive been on quite the prep attack lately and have been finishing up some older stuff too. I finally got to this little guy today. I had to do a fair bit of acrylic work and im not an artist so I just did the best that I could do. This little guy will be a really nice addition to my Tumido collection. I now have very small to very large with all the middle sized ones too for my collection. Oh, a bic lighter for scale.RB

Not too shabby for not an "artist."

Hey Dave Allen, I have read the 'Ancient Natural History and World Records' book, better known as the ANHWR, and on page 374, article B11-02, paragraph 12, it clearly states that No world record smallest Tumidos can be legally kept in posetion of any New Zealander and must be forwarded to an acceptable international depository. I have also found out that the state of Montana is a registered international depository. Therefore, the good guy that I am, will gladly accept your specimen. Thank you :)

RB

Hey Dave Allen, I have read the 'Ancient Natural History and World Records' book, better known as the ANHWR, and on page 374, article B11-02, paragraph 12, it clearly states that No world record smallest Tumidos can be legally kept in posetion of any New Zealander and must be forwarded to an acceptable international depository. I have also found out that the state of Montana is a registered international depository. Therefore, the good guy that I am, will gladly accept your specimen. Thank you :)

RB

this is by no means the smallest i have found i have actually given away 3 smaller then the one that i have shown

Given away 3 smaller ones! Oh the pain! Your killin me here! Anyways we can do a trade someday? I would love an even smaller one for my own private collection. That way I can display from the smallest to the largest. I think that would be really neato.

RB