Pet Wood Polish

bone digger

I just started polishing this beautiful piece of Arizona petrified wood. It is wet in the photographs so that is pretty much how it will look when done. Right now I just finished the rough grinding and am working on the 30 grit diamond with a wet polisher. I am contour polishing both ends. These are my favorite colours for the AZ wood, piece weighs 40 pounds.

post-309-0-70350600-1431672044_thumb.jpg

That is beautiful... what is the approximate Diameter?

Our ones are much duller...

Nice - I have a diamond blade on my grinder and am using that to make slices... then I sandwich a 100 grit then 200, then 800 grit polishing pad on the blade.

Probably highly unsafe but I run it through a variable speed thingee. Have only gotten a few minor cuts from it but have made some really nice straight edges on 2-3" diameter things.

Yes, cutting blades on grinders are not the safest thing, I do a lot of stone carving with angle grinders and diamond blades. I am not sure how you are attaching your sanding pads from your description! You can buy velcro backer pads to attach velcro backed sandpaper to an angle grinder. Or buy wet or dry sanding/polishing diamond pads with velcro. This stuff is usually carried by dealers in the marble/granite business. The pads go all the way up to 13000 grit. You are making a fairly big jump from 200 to 800 grit, if your stone is soft you will have no problem but if it is very hard I would suggest 400 as well. As a rule you want to double the grit size. Happy cutting!

Looks good bone digger. How much time does something like that take? and if your polishing both sides, what are your plans for it?

RB

Hey RB, one side would take a couple hours to do a quick polish. Need to stop and let it dry and glue cracks a few times as well. This stuff is extremely hard but also very brittle. I am just doing a bit here and there when I have a few minutes. I will either just keep it as a display specimen or use it as part of one of my sculptures. Most likely just display it as I have always wanted a nice piece with these colours.