Winner Of The May 2015 Vertebrate Find Of The Month!

JohnJ

The Winner of the May 2015 Vertebrate Find Of The Month is the Mammuthus columbi molar from the Pleistocene deposits of Florida, USA! A HUGE congratulations to digit (Ken) on the discovery of this HUGE tooth and third win in the FOTM contests! :fistbump:

post-420-0-19018400-1433568878_thumb.jpg post-420-0-00449500-1433568883_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-51448100-1433568888_thumb.jpg post-420-0-91632300-1433568893_thumb.jpg

Thank you to all the members that entered and voted in the contest. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice!!! Congrats! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Congrats, nice tooth !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulations, Ken!

You are on a roll this month!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks all. This was actually quite a surprise (not only pulling it up out of the hole in the sand where I found it but winning here).

There were lots of great entries this month--many of which I would be seriously excited to have found myself. I felt I had to enter it in last month's contest because I think it is a great place on the forum to show what interesting items our passion for hunting has revealed. I truly expected the members of the forum to be 'over' mammoth teeth and to have selected one of the more unusual fossils as the winner. That said, I am really quite pleased that this exceptionally large and complete mammoth molar was as much of a favorite to you all as it is to me.

For me it is more about the hunt than owning a large collection of fossils. The ones I do keep (and this mammoth molar will get a place of honor as soon as I figure out how to make a display stand) are reminders of fun times in the field and the interesting things that a bunch of effort (and a whole lot of luck) can sometimes turn up.

And now I'm going to try to parlay this luck into my next hunt. I'm just about to head out the door to drive down to hunt for some Mazon Creek nodules. I'm getting an early jump on a larger group dig tomorrow so I can make it a fossiliferous weekend.

Cheers.

-Ken

Congrats Ken, I think you are part of an even more elite club now with MOTH and FOTM in the same month !!!! Congrats on finding that tooth, it is gorgeous!!!!😀😀😀

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Not sure if the day would come when I for one would be sick of seeing such an amazing fossil.

I look forward to seeing the mount that you make for it and seeing it on display if you could share pics I'd love to see 'em.

Congratulation Ken. Your Mammoth molar has a lot of pristine WOW factor. Great find.

I look forward to seeing the mount that you make for it and seeing it on display if you could share pics I'd love to see 'em.

I'll probably seek Charlie's advice (fossilized6s) on thoughts for how to make a nice looking (and stable) mount to properly show off that (quite literally) mammoth size tooth. You know when I figure out what I'm going to do I'll likely document it with a series of photos and write up a nice lengthy posting showing its construction. I may not have the depth of scholarly knowledge in many facets of the fossil realm that other members bring to this forum but I can take photos and type a lot on my keyboard so that is the roll I play when I try to contribute to TFF.

Cheers.

-Ken

Congratulation Ken. Your Mammoth molar has a lot of pristine WOW factor. Great find.

I've showed it to some non-fossil hunting friends at a dinner we had last weekend and they wanted to know what I put on it to make it so nice and shiny. The answer was that the river sand seemed to have buffed it to a really nice finish. I'm happy that this tooth seems really solid with no apparent cracks or weak spots so with no more prepping other than the removal of a few small rocks and sand grains from some of the crevices (with a dental pick no less) I've not had to do anything to it to make it display ready.

I've found 3 partial mammoth molars (larger size fragments) over the years and countless small flakes of enamel only identifiable as mammoth tooth because I've seem the larger chunks. I don't expect I'll ever pull another mammoth tooth nearly this pretty out of the Peace River or any other location in Florida. Then again I never expected to encounter this one--so maybe that's the key. :) Sure would be nice to find a matching tooth to make the most awesome set of bookends ever but I don't expect I'll see the likes of this molar again (even in another 8 years of hunting). Not that you can really have much of an influence on what you can find while river sifting but I've got a number of other mammal (especially carnivore) species on my Peace River bucket list and I hope to be able to check off a few of those in the next couple of seasons. If I do, you can be guaranteed there will be a verbose trip report from me recounting the finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

I don't expect I'll ever pull another mammoth tooth nearly this pretty out of the Peace River or any other location in Florida.

Congratulations on a GREAT find , Ken. I have some experience in such finds. Your Mammoth tooth is the best that I have seen of many that came out of the Peace River over the last 5 years.

I love the color and quality. It screams "Peace River".. I feel good for you. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Jack.

We didn't manage to be in the Peace River at the same spot on the same day this season. Let's hope that our coordination improves next season and we get to experience some great finds together then. You've really been on a roll this year with some fabulously diverse finds we've been treated to here on TFF. Maybe some of your fossil mojo will rub-off on me and I'll be able to increase the diversity of my mammal finds (I still have many on my bucket list). Of course, if I were to come upon Dire Wolf or Sabertooth Cat finds I'd have to consult with my gymnastically proficient niece and learn how to do a backflip. :blink:

Cheers.

-Ken

Congratulations. That wonderful tooth is a fine window to the past. I'm sure you'll treasure it.

Congratulations! You definitely have a sweet tooth for some sweet teeth! ;)

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Thanks all.

My birthday hunt was a wash-out (in the most literal sense).

The odds were stacked against us but Charlie (fossilized6s) and his dad came down to see if we might manage to pull it off--we didn't.

Within a few minutes of meeting up at a little after 8:30am the front rolled through and trailed behind it a gray wall of water. We tried waiting it out but it was soon apparent that rain was the order of the day. Reluctantly we headed back home to try again another day. Luckily my wife Tammy and I snuck out to do a little prospecting the day before and managed to locate some 120 nodules. Not too shabby for a little under 4 hours of digging. We were saving ourselves for Sunday (so as not to be too worn out) but, alas, that turned out to be unnecessary.

Tuesday looks to be the driest of this week so I'm going to give it another go again tomorrow to see what additional suitcase ballast I can bring home. I forgot the non-standard USB cable for my little point-and-shoot camera so the pictures I've taken (and will likely take tomorrow) will remain captive on the camera till I get to Florida and can parole them. Will post more of a report then.

Till then wish me luck as I try to add to my Pit 2 Mazon Creek diversity. I already have some nice looking nodules that just have to contain some nice fern bits by the shape of them. Hoping for something pretty (and something I don't already have so I can learn about something new).

Cheers.

-Ken