How To Undo A Quick Prep Job?

DeepTimeIsotopes

I received this Enchodus fang as a gift from a friend who was a little less literate in fossils but still it's the thought that counts! ;) I would like to return this to its almost original state having the pieces separated and glued back together by me. I realize this might not be possible so just in case how would I fill the crack and with what? Thank you for your time

post-15927-0-69004900-1433641312_thumb.jpg

post-15927-0-39423700-1433641347_thumb.jpg

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

cont.

post-15927-0-30916800-1433641803_thumb.jpg

post-15927-0-39017200-1433642188_thumb.jpg

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Any idea what it was glued with? You could possibly try to unglue it by soaking it in water for a few days. If it was glued with elmer's, it might come apart. If that fails, try soaking it in acetone. If they used a superglue, this might release it.

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like it wasn't cleaned before it was glued. You should try and find out the glue and use the right solvent to remove it then glue it properly. It shouldn't need filling if it's redone properly.

• I found this Informative 1

I don't know what glue they used. I'll try the acetone and water though to see if that'll separate them. If neither of those work what would be a good filler for the crack?

Sorry I've been really bogged down and busy. I haven't gotten to it yet. Triloant, if you want to send one, I'd be more than happy to adopt it! :)

Sent :)

Acetone worked and the tooth separated minutes after being brushed with a q-tip.

post-15927-0-01422900-1434211245_thumb.jpg

post-15927-0-51140300-1434211310_thumb.jpg

There was another piece that was also restored that was in between the upper and lower pieces. Unfortunately that is with the lights on. :P the pieces seem to have suffered slight weathering so the crack is still a little more open then I like. So magic sculpt then? There is a small sliver missing from the crack. Pics will be up in a minute or two.

Edited by Utahfossilhunter

Better?

post-15927-0-60915700-1434213056_thumb.jpg

post-15927-0-39512600-1434213105_thumb.jpg

Much better :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The latest pictures is it glued back together. I used a small amount so it didn't leak out of the sides. I will be finding some Magic Sculpt soon.

There is Michael's nearby. If they don't have it, there's always online stores :P. And thank you!