Me 9100 Vs Cp 9361 Air Scribe?

uncoat

I feel like there was a topic on this in the past but i did a search and did not find one so im posting this here. I have recently been considering a larger air scribe. I am using a ARO right now which i like despite the stalling and other small issues. I had a chance to use a friends ME 9100 which i like but is it worth the price? I hear the CP 9361 is pretty beefy and should generally remove more matrix then the ARO. Is there a big difference in function between the two other then the price and support you get from Paleo Tools?

Im thinking about going with something like THIS but has anyone here used both? Any advantages or disadvantages i should consider?

Nick

I am a big fan of PaleoTools. Their ME9100 is the same as the Chicago Pnematic tool, but it is made by fossil workers for fossil workers. Also their customer service is great and eventually ( or right away) you can get different tips for it from them.

Hey jpc, i have bought a ARO and a #1 Micro from Paleo Tools and they are always very helpful and have top notch customer service. The ME-9100 is a bit out of my budget but i could do $200 or so if there is a good CP or CP copy out there. Im trying to figure out if the quality and durability is close to the same or if there is something on the market that can do the same thing at a fraction of the price without being a total piece of junk. Or i should just save up and go with the ME-9100?

TriloAnt, have you used knock off CP tools before? is there a big difference in quality or performance? Can you suggest any decent Chinese air tools?

Nick

Having all the money you need for your hobby can be tuff at times but im like JPC and have used the paleo ARO, Micro #6, ME9100 and even got meself a SUPER JACK about 2 years ago. All remove rock at a different rate. All do a great job for what they are. Is it worth the money? I believe so.

You also mention that your ARO stalls. have you changed the O-Ring in it lately? That may help.

RB

Here are a few more to consider for cheaper prices.

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I haven't tried alternatives so I can't help there, but I do own an ME-9100. With a sharp stylus it can be used for delicate work and when turned right up it makes short work of medium sized blocks.

Didn't you prep. that crab in your hand in your avatar RB entirely with the ME-9100???

I work a lot on very hard silt stone and it does a great job with that. You can also get a chisel stylus, but that means that you need to get a new front end. I guess this is to stop the chisel bit from spinning around.

I came straight from using engravers to a Paleotools ME-9100 and MIcroJack #6. I work mainly on fossil crabs from New Zealand.

Edited by Doctor Mud

Hey Dr Mud. yes I did prep that avatar with my 9100 but I made sure and put in a brand new sharp tip for that. I also had to do what I call 'stop and glue' many many times to save the shell on that. Those Orbito's have a very soft shell.

RB

Nick- yes i have used several. I have had guitar knobs fabricated in china for a long time. After building a relationship, i learned that someone knows someone who makes something you need in china lol. I was put in touch with a tool company who made blast boxes and a range of different paleo tools. My first purchase was an air engraver. For $30 i figured it was worth trying. I cant even begin to explain how well it worked. My biggest problem with some on the market is the vibration. If you have never used one, its hardto explain. Pressure (tip depresed on stone) needs to be applied for it to chip stone. Some units vibrate so much that even when not applying pressure, it chipped or cracked very delicate fossils. Even with a steady hand. This one made noise, but didnt vibrate at all. I could get even the most delicate of areas. I once cleaned a entire trilo with it, even between the ribs. Im not saying its better than anything on the market, but for someone just starting out its perfect. Especially students. Lets face it, people work hard for their money and have families. A lot of people dont have a few hundred bucks to spend on a tool for a hobby. I always believed in learning on lesser equipment. You can save up, at whatever amount you chose, for pro stuff. Learn what you are doing first and practice. Its like learning to play the guitar. You dont just pick it up and play a song. Same goes for prep work. As you get better, you start realizing what features and functions you want from your tools. Then you can look into different brands to see if they have these fetures. Paleo tools is fantastic. I use them, but i didnt have one for years. I did the bulk of my learning on a Chinese version. For $30 you cant lose. Ill get the info and pass it along.

I will take the info on buying the cheap Chinese version. I have never cleaned fossils with an air scribe so I would like to try a cheaper tool first.