Not Often, But This Does Happen!

RJB

For the life of me I couldn't figure what was dorsal/ventral on this little Tumido crab. So I made a small deep hole and crossed my fingers and was very nervous and I even had a 50/50 chance but it simply didn't work out. I turned it over and very soon found the Dorsal. I can easily fix the hole on the bottom but it still kinda hurts! Looks like a large carapace for the size of this rock and now hoping that its not 'kissing' its claws? You can only work with what mother nature gives you. Its all good though, it will still be a cool little crab.

RB

post-171-0-09013100-1434236954_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-49593400-1434236969_thumb.jpg

I love fossil crabs, guess being from Baltimore makes me a little partial: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Kissing his claws now that's good.

I am supposing that would mean his pincers are under the carapace?

Hope it is spread eagle?

Jess B.

I am impressed that you would pick up that seemingly ordinary ball of rock and know there was a fossil inside. No clue how you rock splitters do that.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Hey Bone2stone, kissing its claws are just about that. Claws right up to its face or going underneath.

mrieder, don't be too impressed. its sometimes quite easy with even just a tad bit of practice.

RB

Ok, after 5 1/2 more hours of prep work on this thing its comin along kinda nicely, but there are some problems. The right claw fingers are disarticulated and no elbow for the left arm! Dang! Its also a 'sticky' crab and taking waaaaaaay too long but that's just the way it goes sometimes. All in all it will still be a cool little crab.

RB

post-171-0-31155200-1434322057_thumb.jpg

Sometimes as collectors we forget that 99.9% of the other collectors out there would often go nuts over our not so goods and our rejects. I was leaving partial ceraurus trilobites a few weeks ago because what did I really want with more of them to sit in the garage for the next 20 years. I suspect a lot of people would have been very happy with them. Just yesterday I was collecting and without a doubt I was leaving behind some partial crinoid calyx's that I would probably have taken home just last year, but this year the blasts have started to get into some good crinoid material so the bar has gone up dramatically as to what I am prepared to lug out of the quarry.

I look at that crab and I don't see problems I see what will to me be an amazing piece once the prep is completed.

Hey Malcomt, Ive done soooooooo many crabs and am always looking for the perfect one. I actually make Purdy good money selling these 'B-Grade' crabs.

Hey JP, I got a few more just lately where I trade with this fellow, so all it cost me in terms of money is shipping.

RB

Hey Triloant. Ive posted lots of fish that ive prepped here before. it was a long time ago though. Maybe after I get back from yet another trip? My son has talked me into going back and getting more fossil fish. Just waiting for the dates?

RB

Here is an update. I did another 3 or 4 hours cleaning up around the crab and 3-D'ing it and then cleaned up the rock, but there is more work to do. Just need to find the time.

RB

post-171-0-79933600-1434490717_thumb.jpg

Nice job.. One even 50-75% as good would be a showpiece in my collection (not the only one, but one of...)

What did/will you use to fix the hole?

Edited by Wrangellian

Hey Wrangellian, I will use a concrete powder mixed with water and when I get it shaped the way I want I will roll it around my workbench so lots of bits of little rock can stick to it and kinda hide the mixed powder.

RB

That's pretty simple, I used a similar method once but am not sure if the cement is hard enough for the fossil in question, it seems kind of soft/powdery still.