Has Anyone Dealt With Customs In Paris/france Before?

Han.T

The Royaume du Maroc and France have a special cultural relationship. The academies in France have overseen the paleontology and archaeological studies in Morocco. The export of Vertebrate material, modern or fossilized out of Morocco is not permitted without documentation. The onus is on you to provide documentation and a reason for possession of the material. The onus is not on Customs to provide a reason why they can seize it. However, they don't exist to be unreasonable. If you have proper documentation from Morocco then they should release the material to you.

It doesn't appear that you have documentation so You will unlikely be successful in pursuing this further in a judicial hearing.

When I go through any customs I always have a lot of info. I have photocopies of paleo literature, maps , etc. I can show where a specimen is from. Again, it's up to me to prove the legitimacy of taking a fossil out of a country...not up to customs why I can't.

If I don't have all the info and don't want to lose a specimen, I mail it to myself. I never put 'fossils' on the custom slip. I put 'education material for study' and in the value section also write 'education material, no value'.

• I found this Informative 1

The Royaume du Maroc and France have a special cultural relationship. The academies in France have overseen the paleontology and archaeological studies in Morocco. The export of Vertebrate material, modern or fossilized out of Morocco is not permitted without documentation. The onus is on you to provide documentation and a reason for possession of the material. The onus is not on Customs to provide a reason why they can seize it. However, they don't exist to be unreasonable. If you have proper documentation from Morocco then they should release the material to you.

It doesn't appear that you have documentation so You will unlikely be successful in pursuing this further in a judicial hearing.

When I go through any customs I always have a lot of info. I have photocopies of paleo literature, maps , etc. I can show where a specimen is from. Again, it's up to me to prove the legitimacy of taking a fossil out of a country...not up to customs why I can't.

If I don't have all the info and don't want to lose a specimen, I mail it to myself. I never put 'fossils' on the custom slip. I put 'education material for study' and in the value section also write 'education material, no value'.

I was actually thinking of posting the mosasaur fossil back from Amsterdam but we ran out of time there. Unfortunately I always assumed that Moroccan fossils are legal for export prior to this incident; not everyone has the foreknowledge like you to obtain official documents for every fossil they acquire. Some things we take for granted I guess, lesson learnt! Even my non-vertebrate material didn't make the cut by the way.

The Singaporean Fossil Collectors Group, come join us here today!

That is really a bummer. Possibly find a lawyer?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Han, Canadawest is right about the subject of documents. They ask for the official documents saying that your fossils are not deceitfully exported and announce the incurred prison sentences...

You can use this to translate little part of text, could be helpful : http://www.lexilogos.com/traduction_multilingue.htm

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg