Green River: They're Not All Shorebirds

Auspex

I've finally identified this fossil: it is most of the elements of the right wing of a member of the (extinct) order Sandcoleiformes. They were similar to the extant Mousebirds of Africa, but less specialized, and have a cladistic affinity to Woodpeckers. Filling the niches of today's passerines, they seem to have been out-competed when the latter evolved, much the way that modern Carnivores replaced the Creodonts.

It is interesting to note that the surface of this plate bears the patina of weathering; it lay exposed to the elements for some time, but was found before much degradation of the bones could occur.

post-423-1237417340_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool! :D The preservation is fantastic!

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

...do you think there might be more bones buried in the matrix?

Well, I haven't had it X-rayed, but with the Green River shale, 3-D stuff usually telegraphs its topography. The slab is only 3/8" thick, so I'm pretty sure nothing is playing hide & seek.

This bird completely disarticulated before being covered (or it could have been uncovered, disturbed, and recovered a time or two within a couple months of death. In any case, the rest is lost.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

It sure feels good to finally figure out what something is....

Sure does! Since circumstances don't allow me to dig my own, the thrill of discovery comes from research and putting a name to something. This one led me on several rabbit chases over the past year and a half; I could see the affinities to the Piciformes, but I wasn't looking in the "extinct order box". Serendipity played a big roll. :)