Hello Fossil Collectors

masalakulongwa

Hello all: I'm a collector from British Columbia and have done most of my collecting in the Pacific Northwest and southern England. I am interested in all types of animal fossils, with an emphasis on marine invertebrates. I also love to trade, so please feel free to contact me if you have a few extras from your part of the world. I've got some extra Cenozoic molluscs; Mesozoic ammonites, bivalves and brachiopods; and a variety of odds and ends from all over.

Welcome to the forum! :D Add yourself to our members map if you'd like and feel free to use all the features of the forum.

Do you have an easier name we can call you? Masalakawhatits is a little hard for me to type. :P

Welcome to the forum, masalakulongwa! (had to copy and paste the name :D ) Always great to have another members with pics to post! Very nice stuff ya have... Nice photography, too..

Woohoo another Canuck. Have you ever hunted on Hornby Island. I know there are cretaceous shark teeth in the rock out there. Welcome to the forum.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest N.AL.hunter

Welcome and nice pics. I was up in Canada in the summer of 2005 and read that it is against the law to collect any fossils in Canada. I read that this included invertebrates as well as vertebrates. Was what I read true?

Welcome and nice pics. I was up in Canada in the summer of 2005 and read that it is against the law to collect any fossils in Canada. I read that this included invertebrates as well as vertebrates. Was what I read true?

I don't think there is a country-wide ban on fossilling. I know some areas are off limits, especially on the east coast and some areas require that you be with a recognized group/club. A total ban would also be pretty tough to enforce. Where were you in '05?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest N.AL.hunter

My wife and I went for a 58 day trip from Alabama into Canada (Manitoba, Winnipeg), then west into Saskatchewan, Alberta (Royal Terrell Museum was great), B.C., then Alaska. Back down through B.C., Washington, Oregon, California... back to Alabama. It was a great rip, but no fossil hunting. The museum was spectacular and everyone should try to go see it. It displays actual fossils, not just casts. It might have been at the museum where I read that there is no fossil collecting allowed in Canada by amateurs. Maybe my memory is going bad.

Guest Nicholas
I don't think there is a country-wide ban on fossilling. I know some areas are off limits, especially on the east coast and some areas require that you be with a recognized group/club. A total ban would also be pretty tough to enforce. Where were you in '05?

You're mainly right about the East Coast, fossil hunting is strictly off limits in many areas epically in Nova Scotia. You have to be careful, if you read the laws closely fossiling at least in some areas of the east coast is allowed but there are many regulations and all the very best sites are protected. In most of the laws it is encouraged that if you find fossils to pick them up but then contact a University or Museum with the find. They have the privilege to be interested and request the fossils brought to them, but sometimes they won't bother. They also recommend you get a certified palaeontology license, which keeps the law off your back in the case you stumble on a site which is protected but is unknown to you at the time. The license prefers you work with a club or organization. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the welcome.

To answer the questions, yes I have collected on Hornby Island (alas, only once) and there have been a variety of shark teeth found there, as well as many other late Cretaceous fossils.

As has already been mentioned, it is legal to collect fossils in Canada, with certain regional restrictions. Collecting in national and provincial parks is of course banned without special permission. There are some restrictions on exporting fossils from Canada but they do not affect the casual collector. For example, special permits are required to export vertebrate fossils above a certain value (I think it's $500), and large weights of other fossils. The aim is to make it difficult for valuable specimens (think Coelacanth or dinosaur) getting shipped away by commercial collectors. There are some special rules in Alberta (and perhaps Saskatchewan) to due with collecting vertebrate material. As I understand it, you are not supposed to move or remove articulated bones, or to do any digging to expose them. And see the previous post about rules in Nova Scotia. Here in British Columbia, there are half a dozen regional paleo societies that are linked together under an umbrella group (the BC Paleo Alliance). The aim of the societies is to bring together amateur collectors and professionals so that the amateurs (who make most of the finds) know when they have found something notable and how to pass it on to an appropriate researcher.

WELCOME ! to the fossil forum it's a great forum with alot of great collector's with all kinds of knowledge !!!!! :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!