Best Way To Clean Up Some Trilobites In Shale

TStodard

These were the first pieces we found on our vacation last month. I have only attempted to clean up the obvious one with a cheap engraver from harbor freight and I just did not like the performance. I have a dremmel tool (4000 series I believe) and some dental hooks and scrapers. What would you guys suggest I use to clean these up?

The piece with the multiple trilos has a funky brownish color over a lot of it, can this be removed? It would be a really nice piece if so

image_zpsgajhjpqx.jpg

image_zpsykfgghyz.jpg

This one is embedding in solid rock. Should I even attempt to clean this up?

B5C00DE6-D5ED-4787-AA2D-08C78DAF4194_zps

Hello TStodard,

Some Utah commercial bug collector/sellers use a fine steel wire wheel on a bench grinder with the shale wet or dry. It works good on the shale, but leaves striation patterns and can be harsh on the Trilobite. The best way to go would be an air abrader. Costs range from under a $100 to several $1,000. Obviously, you want to start small, unless your plans are to be a professional fossil preparer. Nice multi Elrathia plate.

Here is a visual difference of the two techniques.

post-296-0-70314000-1435285533_thumb.jpg post-296-0-90370500-1435285552_thumb.jpg

Prepped with a wire wheel Prepped with an air abrader

Air is definitely the way to go! A post in this section had one from harbor freight for under $30. I may go pick one up tomorrow and give it a shot.

TS, look up links and info on air scribes and dust control. there are important issues with air scribes that everyone needs to know when they are planning to get one. Here is one link there are others. Dust from them is a serious concern. They do work great, but with care.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/54372-air-scribes-for-detail-work/?hl=%2Bair+%2Bscribe

I have half mask respirators and filters. I was going to use that and cut a hole in a tupperware bin and attach my shop vac to it. I definitely dont want a lung full of baking soda and shale dust, haha

Make sure your shop vac has the correct filter installed or else you will blow the micron sized dust back into the air--that is the voice of experience pay the money and get a high performance drywall dust filter.