Stone Or Fossil?

sebastian97

Hello everyone!

I found this stone in the same area in which I found several Exogyra(thanks to everyone for helping me with the ID)fossils last week. Since I am thinking this is more of an "oddly formed" rock than a fossil, I figured I would post it here first(especially after reading the info about not posting every interesting rock in the fossil ID thread. lol). The pictures don't really do it justice. The patterned "grooves" are much more pronounced than shown in the pics. The thing that struck me as the most interesting is that the pattern seems very "symmetrical"... the grooves are evenly spaced all the way around and seem to encircle two oval shapes near the center. I am also attaching a rough drawing of what the pattern might look like if flattened.

I have done quite a bit of research, and found nothing that looks similar, so I figured I would share it with you guys. Any ideas are welcome. :)

Like I say, I am new to this... but really have the "bug" now, and this may just be a case of me looking too hard. lol! If nothing else, it's a really cool rock! :)

Thanks!

post-1396-1237526535_thumb.jpg

post-1396-1237526545_thumb.jpg

post-1396-1237526557_thumb.jpg

post-1396-1237526574_thumb.jpg

post-1396-1237526607_thumb.jpg

you will find a lot of banded, differentially eroded, or just plain weird-looking pieces of chert. keep what you fancy, but most regard them as "leaverites", as in "leave her right where you found her".

Yes, I think Tracer is right, they look like chert nodules to me. I use to think they were just "Leaverite" until I saw what some folks are getting for them on E-bay selling them as knapping material ( at least the larger pieces).

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
^^I don't see anything there that looks metamorphic???

The lines make it look like it's been constantly pressed and compressed.. Or am I mistaken?

Turok1copy.png

The lines make it look like it's been constantly pressed and compressed.. Or am I mistaken?

pressed and compressed doesn't equate to metamorphic. chert should normally be sedimentary deposition plus compression plus diagenesis. heat is more commonly involved in metamorphism but not needed to create banded chert.

(note, the above statement may be total snarge because it was made by a guy trying to sound like he understands geology when he really only reads snippets from wikipedia, so please make no bar bets based on the information given. thank you.)