Arthropleura

Guest Nicholas

On 6/18/2011 at 2:36 PM, Microplax said:

Sorry to say not my find. :angry:

Auction site  - from Poland.

I think you got it from the same seller as me...I remember that one! ;)

I think you got it from the same seller as me...I remember that one! ;)

Well if you see anymore 'Goodens'... Tell me first ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 2 weeks later...

There's only one thing that doesn't make sence... :blink: I've heard that there are a number of different species of arthropleura, but the only one everyone talks about is A. Armata.

I've been able to find a few nondescriptive references on the web about a small species named A. Moyseyi.

There must be more...does anyone know of any other species? B)

Edited by TMNH

TMNH.... The sample of this material in the fossil record is so small and very often only fragments of the armour are found I would of thought it very diffiult to say for sure about different species... I has not heard of A. Moyseyi. to be honest :) ... Thanks for enlightening me... We could do with some reconstruction diagrams to explain the differences ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 9 years later...
7 minutes ago, FossilFinder1.0 said:

I just found a fossil today, which I 95% believe is a arthropleura fossil today. The image is blurry, but from what I can see, it looks like a match for an arthropleura. It seems I have found a baby-sized end fossil of one. I was just picking through on my property like I always do at a my large shale deposit here in Northeastern Pennsylvania and found it among the many shells and little worm burrows/tunnels. I was quite surprised, noticing how different it was from the shells, so I decided to do some research and the arthropleura popped up. I saw images and compared my fossil to others and noticed great similarity which led me to conclude that it was part of a very young arthropleura. I now see that they are quite rare, which makes me wonder how many more could be underneath the rocks. Where I found it was below a small cliff that includes much shale, where I go fossil-hunting at least five times a week. I have a massive collection of fossils I have found from there, but this small.fragment of a small arthropleura is my best specimen. 

16091031039691668242669971280052.jpg

Definetley not arthropleura,

That is the pygidium of a trilobite in the genus Greenops.

They are common in certain parts of NE Pennsylvania

• 2 years later...

Continuing with this theme from years ago, here I show some examples of Arthropleura from my collection that I have found in the north of Spain.

IMG20230404120649.jpg

IMG20230404120428.jpg

IMG20230404120801.jpg

IMG20230404120859.jpg

IMG20230404120604.jpg

IMG20230404120532.jpg

IMG20230404120536.jpg

• Enjoyed 5