Id Rock With Inclusions

EvanPenn

post-18294-0-55635300-1436805066_thumb.jpg

Hi, are these inclusions fossils or just rocks? I have no clue. Thanks.

Oh, I found this in Oneonta, NY...Devonian?

Welcome to the forum.....It looks very interesting...it might be some kind of trace fossil. There are members here on the forum that have collected from this area that would know for sure what this is .

Tony

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Evan,

The markings could be graptolites. I hear they are quite common in some parts of New York.
Particularly, the long straight marking in the upper right portion of your photo should show some of the anatomy of these creatures.
For the most part, graptolites are preserved as black lines on the surface of rocks - this the name "Grapto-lites" (marking on rocks).

Here is a photo of some Late Ordovician graptolites found on a Dry Dredgers field trip.

PA234852.JPG

For close-ups of this specimen, see http://www.drydredgers.org/fieldtrips/trip200410p5.htm.

I also recommend doing a google search on New York Graptolites.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I think they are more likely to be bits of plant: plant hash in the parlance. I have found similar pieces in the Devonian of NY.

I also see a lot of plant parts.I agree with Carl.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Fossilized pieces of plants?(And a possible graptolite mixed in?) Cool! Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Plant "mulch", in my opinion. The matrix appears to be a fairly coarse sandstone; it would be unusual to find graptolites in that kind of deposit.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with bilheim.Graptolites were colonial organisms (each individual organism lived in a theca) that inhabited the Paleozoic seas.They assumed many forms, like in this attached photo.post-18967-0-64153100-1436812203_thumb.jpg

It reminds me of many carboniferous plant hash plates or as Auspex put it plant "mulch" pieces I have found around here. I bet if you look harder you could find some more detailed/better preserved specimens in the same area!!! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Evan, your close-ups help. It looks less like graptolites to me.

I don't know much about plant hash, so I defer to the others who have suggested that ID.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Bill