Pennsylvanian Nautiloid From Jacksboro Texas

BobWill

I found this nautiloid in the Graham Formation at the Lost Creek site near Jacksboro Texas. The grid is 5x5mm. Picture taken with my new "pluggable" digital microscope I got from Amazon for $35! Any ideas?

post-4419-0-03139000-1437710253_thumb.jpg

post-4419-0-95734100-1437710268_thumb.jpg

post-4419-0-15738500-1437710288_thumb.jpg

One more close-up

post-4419-0-63585900-1437710637_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobWill

I can't help ID it, but it looks like you have some excellent science in early ontology going there.

Great :) !I'm not certainly, but it seems a heteromorf ammonite...I can't be more precise, sorry.I speculated that because I read an article about Graham Formation that say we can found Cretaceous fossils ( and heteromorf ammonites lived only in this period).

Maybe there's another formation with that name in the Mesozoic somewhere Guguita, but this is Pennsylvanian so that rules out heteromorph. The detached piece is crushed at the small end but from the groove inside the large piece I assume a more complete specimen would show it to be planispiral with evolute coiling. Just the closely-spaced growth lines but no sutures or ribs are visible and the whorl section is very slightly depressed laterally and with somewhat angular curves on all 4 margins. There are also shallow depressions on the ventral side of the ventral margins.

Edited by BobWill

Thanks Guguita, I think you're on the right track. We find Domatoceras obsoletum here but they have much flatter sides so this may be another species to add to the faunal list. I couldn't make that link work, I'll try again later.

Edited by BobWill

Probably,Guguita refers to this link http://www.westernpaleo.org/pdf_files/fossil%20identification-1.pdf
Also I found something,but I don`t know if it`s correctly determined as Domatoceras sculptile.Probably refers to Grypoceras(Domatoceras) sculptile (Girty,1911). http://northtexasfossils.com/nautiloids.htm

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks Abyssunder. I should have looked at Lance's site first. This looks nothing like the Domatoceras I display which has a 40mm whorl width compared to the 7mm on this one and a wavey ventral margin not seen on this so I failed to make the connection.

Definitely the siphuncle. It's visible in the same location on some other samples I found.

I looked through my sources and my Treatise (Mollusca part K), The picture showing the siphuncle shows a rectangular shaped shell and the siphuncle is toward the ventral from the center. I found a couple of ideas. One questions, is there any nodes anywhere on the shell, I can't tell from the pictures. If there is, it probably Metacoceras. If it doesn't have any nodes, it also has the same shell morphology as Thrincoceras Which is very common in the Mississippian of Kentucky but continues to the Permian. I have never seen it in this Country except for the Mississippian. I would say it is in either the family Tainoceraidae or Trigonoceratidae.

I looked through my sources and my Treatise (Mollusca part K), The picture showing the siphuncle shows a rectangular shaped shell and the siphuncle is toward the ventral from the center. I found a couple of ideas. One questions, is there any nodes anywhere on the shell, I can't tell from the pictures. If there is, it probably Metacoceras. If it doesn't have any nodes, it also has the same shell morphology as Thrincoceras Which is very common in the Mississippian of Kentucky but continues to the Permian. I have never seen it in this Country except for the Mississippian. I would say it is in either the family Tainoceraidae or Trigonoceratidae.

I think Howard is on the right track with his id,s

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks