Bone Id Help, Please

Stshugart

• New Members

Hello, I am new to the forum and hoped I could get some help identifying a bone I found eastern NM (Bull Canyon formation, to be more specific). I believe it to be fossilized due to its weight and color, but I could be wrong. I am simply a (very uneducated) rock hound who couldn't leave it behind. It is approx 3" long and 2" wide, and the underside is dished. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

post-19190-0-23169000-1438055962_thumb.jpgpost-19190-0-81514500-1438055987_thumb.jpgpost-19190-0-99174400-1438056749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stshugart

It is some sort of large vertebra, and I'm guessing from either the Triassic or maybe even the Permian. There are folks here who know those critters much better than I do.

Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Welcome to the forum. Nice find, you should be glad you picked it up its pretty rare. The Bull Canyon Formation is Triassic and your vertebra looks fossilized and is the correct color for that locality. There were a lot of big Archosaurs including a few dinosaurs in that Formation. You will need an expert in Triassic material to identify your centrum and I'll bet there are not many around. If you cannot get a response here I would suggest contacting someone at the New Mexico museum of Natural History paleontology department and they might give you some answers. Isolated centrums are very hard to ID. Good luck

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

Thank you, Troodon. I'm so glad I found this forum, you've been so helpful. I've really enjoyed reading your responses to my family, too. They have been making fun of me and my "rock" since I found it.