A Few Of My Lyme Regis Fossils

Koss1959

I must of missed this thread.... Theres some fantastic specimens...Is the small Xiph resting against a piece of fossil wood?... The double ammonite is awsome....

The new find looks to be mint to... Congratulations....

Who are you getting to do your prep work?....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I must of missed this thread.... Theres some fantastic specimens...Is the small Xiph resting against a piece of fossil wood?... The double ammonite is awsome....

The new find looks to be mint to... Congratulations....

Who are you getting to do your prep work?....

Thank you. The Xiph has two pieces of wood, yes. Mark Hawkes does my prep work for me. I think everything I've posted has been done by him. I cannot recommend him enough. Very quick turnaround and his work is art. Mark currently has a 6 inch Asteroceras of mine that has lots of wood and proms in it and he has a nodule of mine that is around a foot long with a piece of wood running it's length. Not much showing on that one so it's a gamble, but I'm hopeful. I cannot wait to see the Asti.

Great stuff! Looks like that Apodoceras has the FOTM clinched.

Yes, it seems people like it! Thank you.

I have never actually met Mark but I certainly know his name from the UK fossil world.... I can see he is doing a good job for you and a quick turnaround is certainly an added bonus... The woody nodule sounds interesting.... I will keep my fingers crossed about that one... It could be a fantastically preserved 3D branch of wood or fingers crossed surrounded by ammonite shells creating something spectacular...I reckon you did right not opening it....There are not many 6 inch plus Astys found in a year so again nice find, well done...

Thank you. I'm hoping the woodstone will have something in it. A 3 inch asti, few proms and I'll be happy. I've seen a few before that Mark's done and they're stunning, even if there's not much in them. Yeah sometimes it's not just knowing the correct technique for splitting a rock, but when not to split it. That new apo for example, that rock will not pop no matter how hard you try. And if miraculously it does, you can kiss those spines goodbye.

Nice Ammoniods , really great stuff.

One question what are the stands made of , and who sells them?

UK only?

Jeff

If you look up plate stands, and jewellry stands on Amazon you will find a lot of options.

Regards

Mike

Unfortunately my 6 inch asti, despite being an Obtusum, has Stellare like preservation. It's looking like a very good Stellare so far, rather than a really good obtusum - quite a difference, but it'll still be a nice fossil. Resting against a bit of wood with some proms. Very aesthetic.

I look forward to seeing it anyhow....Sounds a nice display specimen....

I have since found out that red vert is actually a fake. Funny story...

It is the only fossil I have ever bought. My friend found it out under Black Ven in Lyme. He showed me where he found it. He's a trustworthy man who I've known for a while. He has his own shop locally with a good reputation. I went to collect a fossil he had prepped for me and he asked if I had seen the vert he had found. So he pulls out this red vert. The cleanest vert ever. It had a lot of detail in it. Too much for a replica. So I bought it. I ran on hard times later and had to sell a bunch of my fossils. The red vert went. The guy I sold it to pretty much immediately knew it was a fake. He was very good about it and understanding. He chipped a piece off and sure enough, it was fake.

Now the guy who found it has absolutely no reason to try and rip me off. It makes no sense. I see him every time I go out on the beach and he's a friend. If he was going to do that, it woulda made sense to get some unsuspecting tourist in the summer, not a local fossil hunter. We decided it was probably someone playing a prank (not unheard of, someone once hid a complete replica ichthyosaur for someone to find!) or it was part of a more complete specimen and the vert was made to fill in a missing one. Oh well, lesson learnt!

What a shame! but it does happen. T'was a good fake though by the pictures!

Sorry about you having to sell some fossils as well!

Very strange.... Probably someone playing a joke.... I once remember seeing some Whitby dac nodues on Charmouth beach.....

Shame about the vert I liked the colour too....

Koss.... Those are fantastic finds.... Congratulations.... Very nice....

• 4 weeks later...

Found some ichthyosaur teeth a while ago. They were in a big ugly rock that didn't look like it was going to play ball. But, they came out very well thanks to the prep at Stone Treasures. Almost certainly Temnodontosaurus platyodon as the teeth are 4cm long.

SAM_0109.jpg
SAM_0105.jpg
SAM_0106.jpg
SAM_0108_1.jpg
SAM_0107.jpg
I also found another Apoderoceras yesterday. My first was five inches and this new one is seven. The unprepped nodule I posted isn't an Apo. Not sure what it is yet.
Here's the new apo.
20160413_115544.jpg
20160413_115535.jpg
20160413_115519.jpg
20160413_115509.jpg
Edited by Koss1959

Koss.... Thats a great tooth block... It just goes to show it was worth taking a gamble on.... You certainly have found the spot for finding the Apoderoceras.... Cant wait to see it finished...

PS... I keep calling you Koss, because I dont know your name?...