Family Outing - To The Hills!

6ix

A few years ago I stumbled across this spot while deer hunting. I had a cursory look and remember being glad I didnt fall down that hole.

So a few years later (today) I took the family for a walk up to the area - and found the hole and took them into it!

I had a look around for any old animal fatalities (moa etc) but didnt see any, but there were a few clay type rocks with shellfish evidence in them...

IMG_5064.jpg

Was an eerie place, no air movement and very, very cool.

The little girl bought a piece back to soak & see whats in it...

IMG_5069.jpg

I have no idea of the age of this material.. this spot is over 400 metres high and at a guess 20kms from the sea.

IMG_5102.jpg

So a bit further on & just on the side of a track we have a nice bank. I was hoping the creek below would have teeth, but it was nothing but oyster shells. (Thats an assumption - my track record of guessing of ancient things names is pretty poor..)

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

We bought a few handfuls of bits back, I'll get the kids to clean them up tomorrow & post them here... Was a fun morning NOT in front of a computer/games station etc..

What an interesting looking spot. There's nothing better than getting away from all the technology and into the great outdoors to do some exploring! Thanks for the report.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Cheers guys, I have no idea if shark teeth are even found there... the creek bed was what I expected... more shell than stone, but nothing stood out.

Okay, I had to go wash mine - I dont think they are fosslised, I wouldnt know the difference really .. but they are old!

IMG_5148.jpg

Very cool finds,.. and a great bit of exploration!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me