Big Brook Something (Maybe)

PAJim

Didn't know my son put this in the bag... is it something? It feels like tooth material but doesn't seem to be a tooth. It's small... the red background is the top of a peanut butter jar, you can see the circle in the middle of the lid in the pictures.

Fossil%20004_zpsc7nqoqfa.jpg

Fossil%20003_zps4ssrgm2d.jpg

Fossil%20002_zpsua24zjxo.jpg

Fossil%20001_zpshwt7nyuz.jpg

That is a super find...What he found is a Branchial tooth from a Pycnodont fish ..They are attached to the gills and are use to hold prey....Google Branchial and you will see what I mean.....Great find. He found the fossil of the day. I have a few in my collection they were found while seaching for micro stuff ...they can get very tiny...He's must have come from a large one

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

So it is a tooth, cool! Too bad it's not in better shape but we'll take it. I have one more ID that I'm not sure is anything, just threw it in the bag just incase.

fossil%20006_zpsqen2jl7v.jpg

fossil%20005_zpszvsfezee.jpg

fossil%20003_zpsij1iyie0.jpg

fossil%20002_zpsvih6uzxd.jpg

fossil%20001_zps8ptdkgqg.jpg

That may be another great find.. that looks like the lower portion of a sawfish rostral tooth. I hope I am right. we will have to wait for someone who knows more than me.:)

Edited by old bones

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Partials of Ischyrhiza are unfortunately the norm.

As for the branchial tooth, definitely difficult to find unless you're specifically looking for smaller material (using an 1/8" screen will help A LOT). Yours has a pretty good root, which is a good find.

Hey Jim,

Sorry i'm a little late to the party on this thread but both ID's are correct. Pycnodont teeth are some of my favorite fossils - it's not too often you can find translucent objects that are 70-million years old!

Edited by frankh8147

this one is unscientifically 1/2" with the tip broken off.

Most of mine are 1/2 the size of yours and smaller....Nice find .

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I would also agree it is at the top of the size range. For comparison-sake here are my two biggest. I agree with Tony, I think you got the find of the day!

post-11657-0-25648100-1438607805_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankh8147