Ramanessin (Nj): Plant Material? Invertebrate Casing?

JerseyGirl

On my first (very short!) outing to Ramanessin, I found a handful of shark teeth and this.

Looks like plant cells to me but I don't know. What say you all?

By the way, the round pix are taken with a $7(!) clip-on attachment for mobile phones. (And yes, I'll post info about that in another section!)

post-18717-0-16658800-1438555795_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-04964300-1438555823_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-16541600-1438555842_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-52825400-1438555863_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-80748600-1438555882_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-29373100-1438555895_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-03095100-1438555910_thumb.jpg

Edited by JerseyGirl

Huh...

I am reminded a little of the pellets that line shrimp burrows.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't know what it is, but I can say for certain that those patterns are not plant cells. Plant cells are far smaller than that, small enough that some microscopes can't even see them.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks! That is very cool if so! I think it must have been a bit of beginner's luck, as I only had 90 minutes and an 8" sieve with annoyingly fine mesh. Hope to get back today with slightly better gear, and more time.

SEE......This is what happens when tell someone how to get to a fossil brook.....They always find something great.....LOL.... Congrad's on a great find. I would have not guessed it was cartilage..I never seen one that looked like yours.....very cool.

Tony

P.S. You have to join us at the August 23rd trip in Big Brook..There will be a bunch of Fossil Forum Member going and your more then welcome to attend.

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Thanks! That is very cool if so! I think it must have been a bit of beginner's luck, as I only had 90 minutes and an 8" sieve with annoyingly fine mesh. Hope to get back today with slightly better gear, and more time.

Stay with fine mesh! You'll find SOOOO much more. And you'll find rarer things. I never collect the brooks with anything larger than 1/8" mesh.

Thanks for that advice-- I've got sieves with two different gauges of mesh today, so we'll see how it goes. Then some more time tomorrow and that's me for the month. Will see about that Big Brook trip but I may have taken as much time off as I can get away with already... If I can't make that one I will definitely watch the boards for other NJ outings!

Yes, cartilage. Nice find.

Regarding screen size, it's also helpful to use multiple sizes to make sorting and picking easier. I tend to use a 1/4" screen over a 1/8" screen. SO MUCH easier to pick through that 1/8" stuff with all of the big stuff out of the way.