Odd Tooth (Worn) From Just North Of Calvert Cliffs Area

drobare

I found this on Sunday. Between Calvert cliffs and Chesepeake Beach at the Matoaka Cabins area. Stuff there is usually pretty worn and this is no exception. It could be just a really worn shark's tooth of some kind, but it is rather "bulbous" in the middle, so I started thinking maybe it is something else.. Any ideas? thanks!post-15967-0-23333800-1438635520_thumb.jpgpost-15967-0-44437900-1438635531_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look like a shark tooth to me. If it is a tooth, I would guess mammal, but I would rather let some more experienced members weigh in on that decision.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

That's a classic Tilly Bone :)

A hyperostotic fish bone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Fish tilly bone. They are hyperostotic (abnormal or excessive bone growth) that forms on fin spines and vertebrae of fish.

If you do a search for "tilly bone" on the forum or on Google you'll find similar pictures.

Thanks! That's excellent! :-)

I love it when I pick up something new (to me).. one more thing to keep my eye out for...