The New Fish

Frank Menser

Newest addition to the fish collection. It is IDed only as a "Unknown Palaeonisci - Lower Permian (300 mya) from Rptilegendes, Pfalz/Germany. It measures a nice 20 cm.

post-1313-1238109572_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238109613_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238109644_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Got your research hat on? I'll bet you can narrow-down the ID. Any ideas?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

post-1313-1238111847_thumb.jpg

It has been suggested by a collector friend that it might be a Paramblypterus gelberti like this one (also in my collection).

I did a little Googling, and it wore me out! Seems there are several species recognized for Paramblypterus (with P. gelberti being the best known), and Amblypterus (which is similar enough to be lumped together by some researchers). Anyway you cut it, Permian fish fossils are pretty cool, and Pfalz fossils are cooler still!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man, complete fish fossils like that are super neat. I have no idea what label to put on it though! I can't even tell if its an elasmobranch or a teleost (apparently its a teleost based on me Googling the genus Paramblypterus). Great looking fossil fish!

Beautiful fish and big. The germany fish are vey interesting

header2.jpg

http://MinerFossil.Jimdo.com

th_facebook.jpg

Hey Frank, thats purty dang cool. I had to check how old Permian is. Thats one old fish! Now I want one to prep. But most of my spare moneys goes to the decopods. I dont know if its your camera, the lighting or my computer, but I see the color green and silver in those photos? Can I ask if I see these colors or is is something else?

RB

No, your not color blind. That is a bit of glue that you see. there was a repair as this apparently did not come out of the ground in one piece.