My Collection(the Nice Stuff Anyways)

Pool Man

Here's a couple pics of my two display cases.

post-148-1238113796_thumb.jpg

Largest Meg is 3 5/8"

All teeth are from North Port,except the 3rd meg from the left,bottom row, and the last meg ,bottom row. Both are from the Peace River

post-148-1238113805_thumb.jpg

Everything here is from North Port,except the large vert on the right, and the Mastodon tooth frag on the middle left side. Both are from the Peace River.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Those are some great teeth you have. I also love the turtle shell. thanks for sharing

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I'm digging the turtle shell too; also the bird claw core. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What a great collection. I really like the Megs, Makos, alligator teeth and the turtle shell. Did you find the turtle shell pieces the same day ? I've found some turtle pieces and dreamed of trying to put them together, but I'm a newbie, and don't know if they have to be from the same animal to be put together in a reasonable fashion. Please advise. Nice Stuff !

I found the turtle all at once,in a dense clay.The plastron to the right of the center,goes with the shell. That was the fossil that sealed my addiction. :D

Thanks for all your comments!

Wow, really really nice collection! Great to see a collection geared towards a specific locality.

Beautiful box turtle carapace and most of the plastron!

Is that a complete (or mostly complete) stingray caudal spine in the lower right of the bottom photo?

Nice stuff!

I'm not sure which part that is ,RJB. I assume its ray, but could be wrong. I bet Pristiformes could help with the ID. They are also fairly rare. I've found only 4 of them total to about 200 "normal" ray plates.

I'm not sure which part that is ,RJB. I assume its ray, but could be wrong. I bet Pristiformes could help with the ID. They are also fairly rare. I've found only 4 of them total to about 200 "normal" ray plates.

Pool Man,

They look to me like dermal spines from either a skate (Rajidae) or perhaps from a whiptail stingray (Dasyatidae) such as Dasyatis centroura. Nice stuff; I agree that they are fairly rare to find.

Pristiformes,

I don't know if we are using different terms for the same thing but, according to Ices Journal Of Marine Science Here

There are six types of dermal denticle in the tail of R. clavata, not to mention those scattered across the dorsal surface.

I would imagine different types would be found in the tails, etc, of other sp. too. I still think the specimens above should be called dermal denticles rather than spines. The tail 'spine' of a stingray, for example, is in fact, a modified dermal denticle. In the case of stingray, etc, 'spines' it is only a descriptive term for the modified d.d. and used to distinguish that particular denticle.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.