Fossiling On The Dark Side

Frank Menser

post-1313-1238175254_thumb.jpg

Heres a little string of vertebrae from the Tilimsi Valley, Mali. One big boid called Palaeophis collasaeus. So there's the start. show us your nippers!

Note: string not related but they snuggle nicely...

Be true to the reality you create.

I have one Palaeophis toliapicus vert, from the Ypresian, London clay of Sheppey, Kent, England. Mine is not much to look at, but here's a link to some outstanding LC specimens. Plus some other reptilian remains.

Stand by to be amazed.

Link

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Another link (to an article on the genus):

http://www.infohub.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=11544

Note that remains have been found in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, and New Jersey :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great Links Guys!

Here's a boid that isn't fossilised yet...

post-1313-1238185143_thumb.jpg

This Biac chrondo was the last of a group we had. The others had to be shipped back to Florida as they did not adapt well to our new home. This one is kept in a terrarium in a very controlled

enviroment.

post-1313-1238209711_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238209681_thumb.jpg[attachmen

t=22408:Biac_chrondpython.JPG]

post-1313-1238209735_thumb.jpg

Nice I like how the Biak,Aru, and other localities have such busy patterns. I bet you do alot of misting.

Don't really want to take a hit from a Chondro either as their teeth are primarily designed for bird capture.Large front canines to penetrate the feathers.

I kept a pair of Morelia spilota cheynei "jungle carpet pythons" for a while.I raised them up from hatchlings to about 3 ft and traded them on some nice Guyanan Boas. I currently am snakeless,but keep a tortoise.

I wish they hadn't changed the name on the Chondro's. I liked Chondropython!!

post-1313-1238245646_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238245573_thumb.jpg

Our collection is way down (30) as eastern N. Carolina has little resources for the serious reptile keeper. We were breeding eyelash vipers in Florida too. but the netonates we brought with us died. Too dry here too changeable weather. I continue to use Chrondopython as it really is a popularity contest with the names. Some herpetologist suggests the switch and after that it is a matter of useage. I still haven't warmed to Pantherophis either.

Here's some more of our residents.

post-1313-1238245081_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238245225_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=22418:S._Fla_Mole_King.JPG]

post-1313-1238245177_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1238245262_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1238245646_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238245573_thumb.jpg

Our collection is way down (30) as eastern N. Carolina has little resources for the serious reptile keeper. We were breeding eyelash vipers in Florida too. but the netonates we brought with us died. Too dry here too changeable weather. I continue to use Chrondopython as it really is a popularity contest with the names. Some herpetologist suggests the switch and after that it is a matter of useage. I still haven't warmed to Pantherophis either.

Here's some more of our residents.

post-1313-1238245081_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238245225_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=22418:S._Fla_Mole_King.JPG]

Very nice! I like the Epicrates, which species/sub-species is it? We may need to talk more, I'm working on an informational insular

Epicrates website with some friends who are insular Epicrates fanatics. I also live in NC. Here are my two snakes, an eastern Indigo and an Argentinian

Rainbow boa. (Hopefully I'll be getting another indigo in the next few weeks!)

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

Thanks,

Ed

post-1313-1238446597_thumb.jpg

Ed, The Epicrates is E. striatus strigilatus. I recently traded it. I now have 4 Haitian netonates.

Do you have A NATURAL HISTORY OF WEST INDIAN BOAS~P.J. Tolson and R.W.Henderson?

ISBN 1 872688 04 7

Tom Crutchfield would be the person you might want to contact if you don't already know him. He knows more about them than anyone I know. His latest price list (if you don't get it) has a pic of a new race of Haitian from the Dominican side of the island that is very red.

tomcrutchfield@hotmail.com

OK...you have got me drooling with that Indigo. Worked with them some in Florida (in a Zoo) but could never keep one there. I have kept four other sbsps of Drymarchon. My main focus through the years is more towards odd species and rearfanged types.

Here's another not-yet-fossilized snake--the Florida water snake (Nerodia fasciata pictiventris). I took this little guys photo last week in a floodplain forest in Gainesville.

post-1000-1238457141_thumb.jpg

I sold a little over 200 snakes when I moved to Atlanta last summer. After 20 years of raising snakes it almost killed me to sell the whole collection. I kept all the racks and I'll bet I'm the only one on here with heat tape through their fossil racks. One addiction at a time, though, one addiction at a time...

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Ed, The Epicrates is E. striatus strigilatus. I recently traded it. I now have 4 Haitian netonates.

Funny Frank,I kept a pair of those also. E.striatus striatus is what they were sold to me as.Hatian Boas.

I had to make anole/pinky sandwiches for them.I didn't keep them long enough to switch them over to full time rodents though. I agree Tom Crutchfield has many years of experience under his belt.He is pretty active on Kingsnake.com these days.

Eddie, thats awsome that you are getting another Indigo.

Are you getting a female for Jack???????

Those babys are pretty high dollar!!! ;)

Do you have A NATURAL HISTORY OF WEST INDIAN BOAS~P.J. Tolson and R.W.Henderson?

ISBN 1 872688 04 7

Tom Crutchfield would be the person you might want to contact if you don't already know him. He knows more about them than anyone I know. His latest price list (if you don't get it) has a pic of a new race of Haitian from the Dominican side of the island that is very red.

tomcrutchfield@hotmail.com

OK...you have got me drooling with that Indigo. Worked with them some in Florida (in a Zoo) but could never keep one there. I have kept four other sbsps of Drymarchon. My main focus through the years is more towards odd species and rearfanged types.

Frank,

Very nice, I hope to get some insular Epicrates some day. Any pics of the Haitians? I think I have a soft copy of that Tolson paper, I'll have to

check.

Tom is one of the guys contributing to the site. It's been very slow going, as everyone is busy just trying to stay afloat these days at their day jobs.

:( He posted a picture of an incredible red Dominican specimen on the KS rainbow boa forum, I assume it's the same race to which you are referring:

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1675926,1675926

Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks,

Ed

Eddie, thats awsome that you are getting another Indigo.

Are you getting a female for Jack???????

Those babys are pretty high dollar!!! ;)

Thanks! I got a pretty good deal on the new one, she's got a couple crooked scales or some minor imperfection that

won't bother me in the least. :) Not sure if I'll try to breed them yet, I'm going to play it by ear. She is a red throat, so

she should be really pretty for Jack. :wub:

How are the tortoises doing?

Thanks,

Ed/Eddie/Edward/Edwardo