Maastrichtian Moroccan Theropod - Did You Know?

Troodon

Did you know that 99% (my guess) of Dinosaur theropod material available from Morocco comes from the Kem Kem beds which is Cenomanian +90 million years of age. The answer is probably yes. However what is probably less known is that there is some material coming out of the Maastrichtian phosphates of the Ouled Abdoun Basin of Morocco about 30 million years younger. A paper written in 2005 by Eric Buffetaut, François Escuillié & Burkhart Pohl supports these finds. The first image is from the paper and although isolated teeth are difficult to identify the specimen compares to an Majungasaurus crenatissimus of Madagascar. So the initial call is that this new theropod is a type of Abelisaurid. The second image is a tooth (4 1/2") from my collection that I plan on showing François a writer of the paper at the next Tucson show. They seem to compare favorably. The tooth and toe bones I also have from this locality are lighter in color no reds or browns just a light brown like you see from other material from the O A basin.

The moroccan dealers have yet to pick up on this but its a perfect opportunity to scam collectors. Just because it has the correct colors does not mean its from a Maastrichtian deposit. The matrix is a clue and should compare to other material from the Ouled Abdoun basin. Second only this type of tooth has been found, no Spinosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus teeth, their gone by this time. The Tucson show may be a great place to acquire dinosaur material from this locality so keep that in mind. Also watch out for the crooks.

post-10935-0-26577900-1439732309_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-72218500-1439732382_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Cool, I did not know that. Makes me wonder if it's related to the earlier Abelisaurid from Kem Kem.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite