Shark Tooth From The Isle Of Wight Walpen Clays

Goldkaiser

So it's me again (sorry for all the posts maybe I should just create a generic IOW post and post as I clean up and unearth my bulk?) anyways this time it's from a diffrent area just west of whales chibe where a lot of the cliff is rapidly falling down due to erosion. The geology I believe is Walpen clay (lower Cretaceous) funny story it fell down and hit my arm really hurt but boy was I happy (tooth is Aprox 15mm long) I probably won't remove it completely from the matrix for a while until I can get my analysis done to determine a definitive litholgic provenance, however In just over a week I would be able to then remove or fully from same, like I said my collections gonna take a lot of time to finish cleaning would like to know if I should just keep to one topic ID so it doesn't feel like spam :P still have micro vertebrates to go through thinking that next XD post-18741-0-14500700-1439974439_thumb.jpgpost-18741-0-12130800-1439974475_thumb.jpg

And as alway thanks again

Don't be sorry for bulk posting - your material is very interesting! I can't remember the last time I saw a tooth like that from clays on the Isle of Wight. I would recommend keeping it in matrix but exposing a little more if you have a steady hand. IMO these teeth look better in matrix.

Regards,

That makes me feel better lol; over a month worth of samples and nearly no time to prep due to work it's gonna be a long time shifting through this lot lol - couldn't find a lot in the clays actually- a few shells but they were very poorly preserved- a nice ammonite that still need some work and a tiny vertebrae. Hoping to find some more stuff in the clays when I go back XD thanks for the suggestion will leave it in matrix then- hopefully I can find another XD

• 2 months later...

So I'm still looking for a ID in this tooth I have revealed a bit more but don't want to damage the tooth so have been gently getting the clay of when I noticed the root has another tooth like appendage coming of the sides I'm assuming these are what I have read about known as cusplets below are some better photos and hopefully this time we can get an ID

Many thanks

GKpost-18741-0-63649800-1447343985_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-37726300-1447344117_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-95057400-1447344126_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-84430700-1447344142_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-83451700-1447344155_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-63021400-1447344169_thumb.jpeg

The Walpen Clays make up part of the lower green sands

Edited by Goldkaiser

Nice little tooth, but, jeez, be dareful under thos cliffs.

Thanks JPC I know right those cliffs are snarge right dangerous I have christened then Cretaceous falls in my journals XD had a massive Boulder fall one time to the left of me as I was extracting a ammonite :)

Nice tooth.
Maybe a little help in identifying some of your find is this document A preliminary account of the fishes of the Lower Cretaceous Wessex Formation (Wealden Group, Barremian) of the Isle of Wight, southern England - STEVEN C. SWEETMAN, JEAN GOEDERT, DAVID M. MARTILL : http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bij.12369/pdf

also A NEOSELACHIAN SHARK FROM THE NON-MARINE WESSEX FORMATION (WEALDEN GROUP: EARLY CRETACEOUS, BARREMIAN) OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT, SOUTHERN ENGLAND - STEVEN C. SWEETMAN,CHARLIE J. UNDERWOOD : http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2006.00549.x/pdf

SHARK AND RAY TEETH FROM THE HAUTERIVIAN (LOWER CRETACEOUS) OF NORTH-EAST ENGLAND - CHARLIE J. UNDERWOOD, SIMON F. MITCHELL, KEES J. VELTKAMP : http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1475-4983.00074/pdf

SHARKS OF THE ORDER CARCHARHINIFORMES FROM THE BRITISH CONIACIAN, SANTONIAN AND CAMPANIAN (UPPER CRETACEOUS) - CHARLIEJ.UNDERWOOD, DAVID J. WARD : http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2008.00757.x/pdf

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks guys I've looked at a few of those articles prior it's just the fact that none of then are from the correct lithology was throwing me of- also the Wealden is mainly freshwater so I chose to ignore these articles for this tooth bit found then helpful with another tooth of mine

Many thanks again

GK