Rock. Is. Hard.

Pumpkinhead

I've got a similar problem to what PaleoWilliam is experiencing- A straight shelled nautiloid encased in hard dolomite. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can get it out, or if it is truly "one with the matrix..."

Any suggestions, either chemical or physical, are welcome. I'll post pictures soon

Making matters worse, part of the slab of rock that the fossil is in is a really weathered colonial rugose. There's a reason those things secreted calcareous skeletons- it makes them a lot harder to destroy or remove.

Dolestone is a bear, thats why its used as a building stone. If you dont have too much to remove a Dremel engraver $20, will remove it, eventually. A small cold chisel will remove larger sections with caution. I did a 6" ammonite that way 1/2 covered with matrix, took about a week.

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

gallery_2520_1339_787827.jpgthis is what the ammonite looks like after a week of work with a small cold chisel and a Dremel engraving tool ($20) and a wire brush.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Like Herb says, dolomite is a pain in the petutti and is often "at one", as you say, with any fossils in it, since the fossils get dolomitized along with the rock. So you're dealing with the same substance, often with no separating layer. We'd have to see pics to make a judgement.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I would go with the Dremil and cold chisel, tried and tested method, as long as you take your time.

Regards

Mike

Hey Pumkinhead, ive done a heck of a lot of fossil prep the last 20 some years, but I can see I don't want to mess with that! Good luck.

RB