Alum Bluff, Panhandle Florida, Miocene Layer Tube Worm?

dalmayshun

On a recent trip to the Panhandle of Florida, on the Apalachacola river, just down river from the famous Alum Bluff area, we found this 1" diameter, by 18+ " long tube with an outside shell, the inside filled with sand now...our segment is about 6" long. It broke apart as we were attempting to forage it . Does anyone know what creature made or lived in it. I have included three photos, you can see the somewhat segmented outer shell, and almost a double layer of shell on the end view. Thanks. We had such a great time, found a perfect Stombus Gabbi, and several others almost perfect...have other shells I am cleaning currently and will try to post some on the "recent trips" blog.

post-16553-0-92477600-1440804249_thumb.jpg

post-16553-0-89254800-1440804259_thumb.jpg

post-16553-0-55222500-1440804275_thumb.jpg

All I can think of is a massive tubeworm. I hope someone knows the answer; it's plenty neat!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 6 months later...

It has taken me awhile, but from a couple of clues from the book Roadside Geology of Florida, I think I have id it finally. It is Kuphus Incrassatus...a bivalve mollusk growing up to three feet...the one i took this portion of was probably 25-30 " . It is a Bivalvia Pholadida Terediniae, 17 examples of it have been found in the Miocene layers of the Chipola formation, on the Chipola river and Farley Creek...mine was dug from a bank on the Appalachicola river. Others have been found in the oligocene layer of the Suwannee river on the other coast. They have also been found in argentina, panama etc. Cool, huh. I never in a million years ( well maybe 40 million years) would have guessed it was a bivalve.

• I found this Informative 1

A giant shipworm! Good job :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!