Resurrecting Placenticeras

Uncle Siphuncle

This summer I encountered the largest Placenticeras planum in the bed of the North Sulphur River (Ozan Fm, Campanian) that I've ever seen.

post-22-0-31702100-1441117975_thumb.jpg

Thin, waterlogged, and under 6 inches of current, it was abundantly obvious that my tight schedule and inadequate equipment were no match for the this job. However, this thing was too big and rare to leave. Sorry! (not really).....In the end, it looked like I blew this thing out of the river bed with a Panzerfaust....I gathered as many pieces as I could find into 2 body bags.

post-22-0-33271500-1441117976_thumb.jpg

After a light scrub, I began supergluing this jigsaw puzzle back together. Ordinarily, I don't mess with ammonites this far gone, but at 13.5 inches, I had to give it a try. Lack of complicated ornamentation and mottled surface coloration would later work to my advantage.

post-22-0-35120700-1441117977_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I decided to tackle this project on lunch hours in my office....no point in compromising family time when I can squeeze the job into my day elsewhere. Here is a shot of this thing after filling major voids with Paleosculp epoxy putty for structural support. I experimented with filling narrow cracks with spackling compound, as the stuff is very compliant and therefore easy to flush with the surface on either side of the crack without much in the way of secondary operations like sanding etc.

post-22-0-53228900-1441118561_thumb.jpg

Here is the finished product, post painting. I keep several bottles of cheap Walmart matte acrylic paints on hand. Black, white, brown, yellow, red and green blended to match seem to cover the fossil spectrum I've encounted. Again, the mottled coloration of the ammonite lent itself to simple touch up painting. I tend to throw down a base color, then finishing techniques vary by the job. In this case I watered down the paint to lighten the hue in some places, dry brushed in others to lay color on high spots, wiped paint off in other areas so as to leave it only in the low spots, etc.

post-22-0-57690900-1441118562_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-55076300-1441118563_thumb.jpg

Although at the beginning I didn't know if this one would end up in the trash, now I'm glad I put in a week's worth of lunch hours in resto, and this one is worthy of shelf space.

Grüße,

Very inspiring post.

It's great to view a specimen that was on the verge of oblivion and then restored to something special.

That is a very flat specimen. Our Placenticeras meeki are a bit more robust when they get that size however still 'skinny' for their size. I wonder what the evolutionary benefit of flatness was...faster at catching prey? Not as visible on edge? Quicker and larger growth?

That's a big ol' tiddly wink; no winder it wouldn't come out whole...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great job Dan, I use a Panzerfaust all the time, great for those difficult extractions. What type of glue did you use had a few large ammo's to break when I moved back to the fatherland. In the past have liberated several large ammo's for the Sulphur, they are heavy and not to plentiful. The trip back to the car seems like a 100 miles packing a 60 pound + hunk of stone

Tom

post-3940-0-51433600-1441121002_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Wow! You sir have an amazing eye and restoration skills. And yes, it definitely looked like you removed it with a panzerfaust! Lol

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Well Done, Sir!

Glad you had the skills to make it good as new!

Thanks for posting the process, Dan.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great job Dan, I use a Panzerfaust all the time, great for those difficult extractions. What type of glue did you use had a few large ammo's to break when I moved back to the fatherland. In the past have liberated several large ammo's for the Sulphur, they are heavy and not to plentiful. The trip back to the car seems like a 100 miles packing a 60 pound + hunk of stone

Tom

attachicon.gif002 (16).JPG

Hi Tom. I used bargain basement Walmart superglue to hold the chunks together securely enough for me to press epoxy putty down into the interstices. At that point the thing didn't feel like it would crumble again under its own weight.

Grüße,

Tom

attachicon.gif002 (16).JPG

60 lb hunk of stone.

I whacked a biggie. It split in two. Out popped a nice foot wide Placenticeras. However, I actually like the inside of the rock as much as the ammonite. All was heavy, so I could only carry one half of the rock. So now fossil and rock both reside in the garden. Ammonite is in left of first photo. Round concretion top of second photo. It's amazing how much we can carry when we have fossil fever.

post-19254-0-65822300-1441141084_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-64246100-1441141101_thumb.jpg

Those skinny frisbies were really built for speed!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those skinny frisbies were really built for speed!

As well as for penetration. My wife hasn't seen this new one in the house yet.

Grüße,

Warning grossly facetious response following...

Dan, this is the worst example of shoddy collection, preparation, and restoration that I have ever seen. I think you should let me remove it from your collection so as to save yourself further embarrassment and ridicule by the other members of TFF. :envy:

Warning grossly facetious response following...

Dan, this is the worst example of shoddy collection, preparation, and restoration that I have ever seen. I think you should let me remove it from your collection so as to save yourself further embarrassment and ridicule by the other members of TFF. :envy:

Accordingly, allow this specimen to serve as my badge of shame and laziness!

Grüße,

Great job, Dan. You've inspired me to get to work on this one soon.

attachicon.gifIMG_2129..jpg

I told PFooley that for my next project, I'll just make the entire ammonite from scratch, and maybe invent a new species in the process.

Grüße,