Sahara/morroco Imports

Fossil Claw

I would like to buy/bid on some fossils from Morroccco but I am a little worried about doing so due to all the fakes that come out of Morrocco.

There is a seller/importer on ebay out of Chicago that only sells Morroccain fossils.

Anyone know if they are a trustworthy seller? I'd like to find a trustworthy source for Morroccain fossils. I don't want to drive forum memebers nuts by posting a bunch of Morroccain fossils to see if they are real or not.

Well. If you have some pictures we could certainly help identify if the fossils are real or not.

Depending on what you're wanting to buy you might have to look at different sorts of details. Mosasaur jaws are often faked for example. real fossils are messy and broken and asymmetrical much of the time, they also have a lot of detail. Fakes are more often to "clean" and lack detail.

Trilobites are also often faked. What is generally done with fake trilobites is that they make a mold of a real trilobite, make a cast, and place the cast into a real piece of rock. These fake trilobites lack detail and sometimes airbubbles can be seen from the molding process. Real trilobites have tiny details. The details on the eyes are generaly a good indication.

I hope this helps.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The seller has lots of interesting trilobite, teeth, and crinoids auctions.

I didn't want to carpet bomb the forum with a ton if items from his auctions.

There are too many I would like to bid on.

Please also do not assume the seller knows what he is selling. A number of dealers can also be fooled by Moroccan artisans. Your best bet is to do what LordTrilobite said post pictures here. We are good with opinions :D Also, if you are interested in an item please make sure its returnable if you are not satisfied with it. If the seller does not accept returns do not do business with them.

Edited by Troodon

My attitude about replica fossils is that if you believe or know for certain they are replicas and they are anatomically correct.If you will never have an opportunity to visit an area and collect real specimens, are willing to pay for a replica for your personal collection. Then nothing is wrong with buying them as long as the price is reasonable and you label them as replicas. Also if you decide to sell it or give it as a gift later on make sure you label it as a replica.

Please also do not assume the seller knows what he is selling. A number of dealers can also be fooled by Moroccan artisans. Your best bet is to do what LordTrilobite said post pictures here. We are good with opinions :D Also, if you are interested in an item please make sure its returnable if you are not satisfied with it. If the seller does not accept returns do not do business with them.

I agree with Troodon

The issue isn't just trustworthiness but knowledge. Once a specimen exchanges hands it loses 'certainty'.

I wouldn't know a 'good' fake trilobite from a real one and I have collected fossils for over 40 years. Even world experts at our Tyrell Museum can be deceived by fake vertebrate fossils. Photos, etc. might reveal a fake but they do not authenticate a real fossil. I've seen photos and held fake T Rex teeth that would fool anyone but those of us who have collected several of them first hand. Those who fake fossils and other items are not dummies...it's perfect for them when some 'warning' clue is pointed out. They adjust accordingly and the fake item passes the 'test'.

Anyway, no seller of imported fossils 'knows' they are all legitimate. The best he can do is guarantee authenticity or a return for refund.

Good advice.

I just did not want to post a bunch of images since there a large number of no reserve auctions I wanted to dabble in.

I post enough items for ID. I did not want to be a pest for the forum.

That trusted seller has been around for a long time. They also regularly attend the large fossil shows. Everything I looked at on ebay is described accurately.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Some examples of items I am considering bidding on.

1.JPG

This looks like pretty poor prep to me, but the trilobite seems reasonably well done.

Just because they are genuine doesn't necessarily make them desirable. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks. I thought so but you here all the time to be careful with Morroccain fossils.

One should always be careful with Moroccan material. I also know this seller and they are a reputable Moroccan dealer.

The crinoid that Auspex highlights is largely sculpted, and a rather poor job at that. No problem if this is mentioned in the description and the price is insanely cheap.

• I found this Informative 1

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Price is currently insanely cheap. No bids yet. $9.99 to open.

I am bidding on other items but haven't bid on the crinoid. Will likely wait for a better one.

Well, I see original fossils here, but the Shiphocrinites is damaged and carved above the eroded crinoid, the group of trilobite Onnia cephalons are only cephalons and not complete trilobites of course there is a crinoid near but is in poor preservation, the teeth are for the major broken and glued with part of sand of the layer, the new type of crinoids to the right are ok but not well prepared, the trilobite is ok but not well prepared.

Of course if you like these materials is important that are originals and not fake and that you like, but you can find more example in internet of the same price cheap and better of these, good trip on the net.

;)

->>>>> :)<