September 2015 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

Wow! Just WOW to all of it!

Kevin i love the mixed species.

I love all the fish!

I love the pleistocene finds!

I love it all!!!

Nice people!!!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I would like to submit a Caudal Vertebra from the Hadrosaur:

Edmontosaurus annectens

Hell Creek Formation, Harding County, South Dakota

The Vertebra is 13" (33cm) tall and 6 1/2" (17cm) across the lateral spine. The specimen was found in June and picked up from the Prep person on my return from September's collecting trip.

The preparation included cleaning, crack fill and reattachment of the spine which was in two pieces, no restoration.

The fist two images are in-situ ones of the vertebra. The spine pieces were removed during extraction of the centrum.

I will submit my partial skull as I am not sure that it will display any better once prepped and it will take quite some time getting it out from the limestone matrix so this is as found. For scale the measurement of the underside of the jaw is 570mm

Platypteryguis australis - partial skull

Toolebuc formation - Albian - Cretaceous

Richmond district Queensland Australia

Found 21-9-15

I will add an entry I suppose. This specimen is a Hadrosaur tooth found at my new site in North Mississippi in the shallow water marine Demopolis formation. These teeth are not rare in certain parts of this country, but in the Southeast United States, dinosaur material is an extremely rare find.

Northeast Mississippi

Lower Demopolis Formation

Late Campaignian of the Late Cretaceous Period

Found in early September of 2015

attachicon.gifDSC00234.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00235.JPG

Boy it's getting hot in here... :drool: truly eye candies for a dinosaur collector like me! Amazing stuff :wub:

Edited by Sinopaleus

All are just wonderful finds.....Its going to be hard to pick the winner for this month.. :blink: ...Maybe we should have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners..it would only be fair.... :D

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

All are just wonderful finds.....Its going to be hard to pick the winner for this month.. :blink: ...Maybe we should have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners..it would only be fair.... :D

Trust me...they know who they are. :P

It's a good month. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I wasn't going to add anything to this months contest but what the heck. I found this large enrolled Eldredgeops in a block of hard limestone in late August here in New York and had it prepped on September 15. I do my own prep, for the most part, but this trilobite had a very hard piece of matrix stuck to its cephalon. It is 100% pyritized and very heavy for its size. You can see some of its original color pattern when you look at it close up. I was asked by the guy who did the prep for me if I wanted the exo blasted off so it would be gold but I like it as it is, for now. ;)

Thanks, Mikey

Pre prep pics

post-420-0-87023800-1443648637_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-61599800-1443648638_thumb.jpg

Post prep

post-7129-0-46878500-1443644187_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

To answer the question that john asked about criteria for voting, Mine are --condition of specimen, quality of preservation, rarity of species, displayability and eye candy appeal.

Tony

PS It is going to be a hard choice as to which ones I will vote for this month!

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

My submission for this month's contest is a partial Anole jawbone with teeth. It was found on September 26th, 2015 in matrix from a spoil island in the Indian River, Florida near Merritt Island. This Pleistocene matrix is considered to be from the 'Melbourne Bone Bed'.

post-13648-0-28185200-1443665783_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png