Hadrosaur Nest- Is It Real?

HamptonsDoc

That is not a nest... it is two eggs. Nests had more than this many eggs. If someone is trying to sell it as a 'nest', I would be wary from the get-go, (but this is one reason I don't buy fossils).

• I found this Informative 1

This is the description...

Excavated in region of the Three Gorges Dam Construction., Hubei province, China

Good shell retention.

Dimensions: 10 inches X 8 inches

The eggs look real to me but its hard to determine if the pair is associated. I get uncertainty from the matrix but unless I hold it I'm not willing to put that stamp on it. I would like to hear what others say before you proceed.

Edit: look at the matrix some more and changed my word to uncertain.

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

To my eye (and obviously from the photos only), these have the appearance of eggs of Chinese origin. They could benefit from additional prep. That is, removal of the matrix partially occluding much of the shell. Are they naturally associated? If the are judged not to be fabrications; then (from the photos) the matrix "underneath" them appears undisturbed. Therefore the were not stuck together - unless the matrix is fabricated. I believe, if the eggs are judged authentic, then there is no glaring reason to doubt the matrix and therefore, association.

Of course, it is best if you can; hold them in hand, use magnification, grill the dealer. Good luck, I wish you fortune in finding pieces that are satisfactory.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks Troodon and Snolly, I've been reading other posts from you guys recently and you both seem very knowledgable! Those eggs popped up on eBay this morning and I just did the "Buy it Now" option for $386! Seems like a great price (as long as they are authentic!). The seller accepts returns and is located in the US. I'll let you know how they feel once they arrive. :D

Boy that's a super price for the pair. Hope everything works for the best.

I agree. I was surprised at the price, as these have gone up so much in the past few years. I would deem the price quoted, a bargain. Of course that's all the more reason to be critical when the piece is in hand. If I were considering this transaction, I would engage the seller regarding the Hx of the eggs. When did they get them? From who? Such inquiry may or may not shed light, but it does not hurt to ask. I hope these prove to be legit and you can own some nice pieces for a bargain price and perhaps enjoy some prep work.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

These are real as far as I can tell.

You do need bigger pics though to check if there's any restorations.

Great buy!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The seller Is an antique furniture dealer and going over his other listings and previous items sold, no other fossils. He probably didn't know what he had. I'm going to email him now to see how he aquired them.

These are two good examples of what real eggs should look like. Compare them to the Malaysian acquired eggs and see if you can see a difference.

The nest just got delivered. The shell looks real and both of the eggs and the matrix do not look like they've been manipulated. The piece is heavy, 14lbs 10oz. The eggs are smaller than my Hadrosaur egg I got at the Springfield Mass Gem and Mineral Show but appear larger than photos of Segnosaurus eggs I've seen. They are 5.5 inches long and about 4 inches wide. They are closer in size to the "football" Hadrosaur eggs I've seen but closer in shape to a more typical Hadrosaur. Almost all of the shell is intact with a small piece missing here or there. I contacted the seller to ask more about the piece but he never responded.

What is the white on the shell? Is this mineralization? I agree with Snolly, they definitely do need some more prep to really make them shine (anyone interested??). I'm very happy with the piece. Overall I'd say not bad for my first nest and for getting it for $386 (shipping included!)!!

post-19603-0-20447900-1442535204_thumb.jpg

post-19603-0-78693300-1442535217_thumb.jpg

post-19603-0-65889700-1442535218_thumb.jpg

post-19603-0-55592400-1442535219_thumb.jpg

Yes this is an unbeatable price for a pair of real hadrosaur eggs.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The nest just got delivered. The shell looks real and both of the eggs and the matrix do not look like they've been manipulated. The piece is heavy, 14lbs 10oz. The eggs are smaller than my Hadrosaur egg I got at the Springfield Mass Gem and Mineral Show but appear larger than photos of Segnosaurus eggs I've seen. They are 5.5 inches long and about 4 inches wide. They are closer in size to the "football" Hadrosaur eggs I've seen but closer in shape to a more typical Hadrosaur. Almost all of the shell is intact with a small piece missing here or there. I contacted the seller to ask more about the piece but he never responded.

What is the white on the shell? Is this mineralization? I agree with Snolly, they definitely do need some more prep to really make them shine (anyone interested??). I'm very happy with the piece. Overall I'd say not bad for my first nest and for getting it for $386 (shipping included!)!!

attachicon.gifIMG_4588.JPG

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

attachicon.gifimage2.JPG

attachicon.gifimage3.JPG

Obviously, anyone who agrees with snolly has an abundance of perspicacity. LOL

Here is a link to a Forum topic where I briefly describe prep efforts on a piece such as yours.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/55712-hadrosaur-fossil-egg-practice-identifying-fakes

Please heed the caution about over-wetting any eggs in the reddish matrix. The method described is simple, but time consuming. A preparator with air abrasive equipment could probably knock off the thin mineral film in short order. However, I find the repetitive rhythm of mechanical prep work to be very relaxing. I liken it to a state of mindless alertness. Thoughts may be freed from mundane pressures and concerns. A form of meditation, if you will. I encourage you to try it on a small section to see if it is pleasing in terms of result and experience.

I wish you a great experience with whatever your next step. You appear to have acquired a fossil that is very appealing and should clean up nicely. Of course some might argue to leave it in its "found" state and that would be a legit option as well.

Here is a photo of one I prepped.

post-8873-0-43548300-1442585032.jpg

Very nice pair of eggs, "originals", congrats are also cheap!

The white surface on the shell is a calcite mineralization, stunning on the egg! Are the last two eggs from this seller at this price? :)

->>>>> :)<