Its This A Real Dinosaur Egg?

lone5wolf117

I echo the comments. I've never seen an "egg" like this before.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I have not seen one that looked like that.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Boy that's a new one, either fits the category how not to fake an egg or its so different that none of us know its real :o I'll pass just because I know nothing about what I'm looking at, it may be real the shell looks plausible. I would not dismiss its authenticity based on something new or different just because we have not yet seen it.

Edit: is there anything you can obtain from the seller that validates his claim or any evidence that these type of eggs are dinosaurian? Size?

Edited by Troodon

Size is very important; more so in this case, because we need to rule out that they are large modern bird eggs, made to look old.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well the seller told me he bought form China and its from a new found site too i have picture to show too he say he saw the egg similar to the the ones he have and in a museum here its the similar egg for the museum thats looks like the one he have.

post-19039-0-46678800-1442453023_thumb.jpg

post-19039-0-84154100-1442453042_thumb.jpg

I have a sample of this egg. It has a maroon composite matrix that smells strongly of ammonia, so much so, that it arrived wrapped tightly in cellophane so as not to smell in transit. It was manufactured in China and sold on eBay from Malaysia. Some of the recent eggs are realistic looking copies. This is not one of them. Most real eggs suffer from some form of compression or misshaping and most of these copies are completely symmetrical and almost exactly the same size, with what appears to be 100% shell coverage. In addition, if a seller is shipping eggs from China, it should raise an obvious flag.

The egg you are looking to purchase is different than what I've and others have seen before but I'll give you my impression after taking a second look at it.

The fractures in eggshell look like what you would expect to see in a real egg and hard to fake. I'm fine with the texture of the shell and looks similar to the additional pictures posted. I like the differences in the three eggs, missing shell, voids etc, fabricated eggs would be more perfect. The color of the matrix is something that I've never seen and bizarre but Chinese eggs have lots of shades of deep red, not sure what to say. One of the eggs in the additional images you posted has some purple in it.

The size "I think" says not modern, but I'll let Auspex make that call. Are there big eggs like these from earlier periods and not Cretaceous?

I was disappointed with the photos your seller provided you. Your eggs appear to be roundish while the new photos show an oblong egg and very different matrix.

It's not the traditional dinosaur egg I'm used to seeing. Are they real eggs and dinosaurian, I don't know.

My concern is that it was fabricated from a modern ostrich egg. Can you see any similar textures?

post-423-0-97243800-1442506026_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My concern is that it was fabricated from a modern ostrich egg. Can you see any similar textures?

attachicon.gif~.jpg

yes looks similar too i have a ostrich egg can i can compare them when i see the seller

This maroonish purple matrix color is exactly the color of the fake egg that I obtained from Malaysia, which is the size of a softball and is the same as your pics. The matrix appears molded and then scored while it was wet. The seller disclosed to me that it was fake and told me that the factory makes various levels of fakes that range greatly in price, appearance and quality. There are some of the higher quality ones for sale now on eBay, and they are shipping from China, which should tell you something. Why would anyone risk the penalties associated with shipping fossils from China, especially on eBay? This is because it's legal to ship a replica, even if it's not disclosed on the customs form. As I mentioned, the one that I received smelled so badly of ammonia that it would be hard to believe that it was not toxic in some way (he mentioned that it was recently manufactured and that the smell would dissipate after time). It does smell less now than it did when it arrived. If you look at the shell, it has fracturing; but all of the fake shell is there. Nothing is missing. It appears that a complete acrylic shell was subjected to some random smashing, sort of like the procedure used to make distressed furniture. Mine is just like your pics and is without a doubt, manufactured. I purchased it with the intent of dissasembling it; but I fear that the material is toxic, so I sealed it up. Each time that you open the bag, you get a whiff of ammonia, so for now, it's staying in the bag. This is a disturbing trend that could seriously impact our already uncertain fossil industry. Bill

Quote 100% WRM & Auspex.

Although there are still many areas to explore in China with surely hundreds of eggs possibly different, these seem fake, even the abnormal color of the shell, without large textures. The my old friend Lowell he had pictured in his page when he sold and were in the category of fakes and were identical to these.

The matrix maybe is real, the tipical of the upper Cretaceus, red-purple, the egg maybe is from a Ostrich, well done Auspex!

->>>>> :)<