Mosasaur Tooth On Matrix -Composite Or Natural ?

Fossildav

Is this tooth / root composite or natural ?

Remount or sitting on original matrix ?

Many Thanks !

post-19336-0-44532800-1442782768_thumb.jpg

post-19336-0-82074500-1442782779_thumb.jpg

post-19336-0-74715000-1442782789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossildav

The root looks dodgey to me; I seem to see flat facets that look carved.

If the root is a reconstruction, then the matrix is also window dressing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm actually gonna say that the root is real. It's definitely been tampered with though. I have a similar root where it's actually real. But for no good reason it's been sanded down to create a smoother surface. Basically ruining a perfectly good root. I'm not quite sure the root belongs with the tooth though. I think better photos are needed to make a judgement on that.

The matrix itself looks like it should though. Lots of bones and debris, looks natural.

So yeah, possibly real but has been tampered with. Closeups of the join between the root and tooth are needed.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I'm actually gonna say that the root is real. It's definitely been tampered with though. I have a similar root where it's actually real. But for no good reason it's been sanded down to create a smoother surface. Basically ruining a perfectly good root. I'm not quite sure the root belongs with the tooth though. I think better photos are needed to make a judgement on that.

The matrix itself looks like it should though. Lots of bones and debris, looks natural.

So yeah, possibly real but has been tampered with. Closeups of the join between the root and tooth are needed.

I agree with this. I've owned a carved bone Mosasaur "root" with composite and it's not that.

I wouldn't bid over $60.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

$60!?

That's way too expensive for such a dubious piece. Definitely not worth more than 30 imo.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Looks real to me. Can you get a high-res picture of it in bright daylight?

The matrix looks good too. I expect to see bones and such.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!