Fossil Plant ?

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Looks like possibly some petrified wood, but hard to say unless you give us some precise location/geology info for it.

I'm not usually big on identification by what is supposed to be found there, unless it's just used to narrow the search parameters. It merely facilitates a more accurate guess in my opinion, but wood is a good example of a case where one can be fairly sure without a technical study if it is already well known in the area.

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

thank you both! I never imagined ... But yes they both somewhat seems like a branch piece , I never imagined wood . I did find other plant fossils nearby so its not out of the question , I just thought it would be a stalky plant root more likely . It was found near Duncan wrang.

I'm not usually big on identification by what is supposed to be found there, unless it's just used to narrow the search parameters. It merely facilitates a more accurate guess in my opinion, but wood is a good example of a case where one can be fairly sure without a technical study if it is already well known in the area.

I agree, but given the item and the wide-open possibilities for its location of origin, I needed the help. If it were found in Ontario or somewhere in the Paleozoic regions, the possibilities for being wood would have been lower, and coral would have been higher, but I would not jump to conclusions even then.

thank you both! I never imagined ... But yes they both somewhat seems like a branch piece , I never imagined wood . I did find other plant fossils nearby so its not out of the question , I just thought it would be a stalky plant root more likely . It was found near Duncan wrang.

I suspected it was wood and I think that clinches it. Lots of wood up there, though it is coalified and not lapidary quality (not that it has to be but it also makes it hard to go more specific than 'wood' for an ID because the grain is obliterated) By association with the common Glyptostrobus conifer fronds, I think it is the wood of that tree, but it could also belong to the less common deciduous leaf Zizyphus cretaceus.