Spinosaurus Tooth Is It Real?

nitramlondon100

• New Members

Bought this recently and was wondering if it was real? It was my first fossil.

Thank for any help.

post-19727-0-65263500-1442850547_thumb.jpg

From the looks of it the crown is real. The matrix near the root may be there to hide spots that are missing though. Mind if I see the other side of the tooth? Definitely is a real spino tooth though.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm with Ron on this one. The "blob" of matrix is so close to the base, it certainly wouldn't be trying to cover up much as it is. If you try to remove the matrix, it may end up with damage to an otherwise beautiful tooth. The strip on the bottom may have been enamel scraped off during excavation. It looks like you got a very nice tooth for your first fossil. Kudos to you, well done!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

A nice real tooth.

That 'blob' is indeed probably just matrix. I have some similar pieces. It might be worth removing it, but it will be really hard to do. On my Spino teeth I was able to remove some but not all. On one of the teeth I had also damaged the underlying root. I find that the matrix is generally harder than the root. So unless you really want to remove it and know what you're doing. I would keep it as is.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Is a real tooth very nice and congrats, maybe I wrong and here there are dinosaur expert more of me surely, but for me is a Plesiosaur tooth, not a Spinosaur.

I repeat that I probably am wrong but I do not see the classic vertical ridges of Spinosaur teeth.

->>>>> :)<