Possible Belemnite ?

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Found this beauty beside the river one day , took It home because the piece that broke was an off brown color compared to the rest and it broke in a almost tube like form , when I got home and cleaned the bottom piece and top piece I discovered something incredible, not only did I destroy this beautiful thing... but I lost some of the pieces.... so I went back the next day in search and I fortunately found the last 2 little shards of the bottom guy , luckily the one has some mineralisation on it , you will be in for a treat I believe the bottom chunk might have an ammonite relative but either way cant wait to Id this!

More pics to come!

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belemnite

Partially opalized Belemnite!

post-17721-0-03482000-1442882102_thumb.jpg

Edited by GemstoneAndFossil

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

post-17721-0-06985400-1442883139_thumb.jpg(Bottom piece #3 fragments Upside down)
post-17721-0-42445400-1442883697_thumb.jpg(Bottom piece flipped and detatched possible baby ammonite ? or belemnite ?)
post-17721-0-29871200-1442883061_thumb.jpg(Top Piece with chambers flipped over , so you see the face that is against the bottom pieces)

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

post-17721-0-04606300-1442884091_thumb.jpg(Bottom Piece Right side up , mineral deposit)
post-17721-0-86212300-1442884822_thumb.jpg(bottom Piece right side up , Close up , still doesn't do it justice!)

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

post-17721-0-53331400-1442887019_thumb.jpg Gryphaea ?
post-17721-0-24771600-1442886469_thumb.jpg What are these shells ? I found one and had an eye for them since . they remind me of ears in the dirt

Everything after 'Deposit' is a Paleozoic brachiopod. You don't care to mention whereabouts you are finding these things? You don't have to give exact directions to your sites, but I don't even know what province you're in...

The 'beleminte' is probably an orthocone nautiloid.. Belemnites were Mesozoic, the Orthocones ranged from the Lower Paleozoic to Triassic.

Really nice finds!

My opinions:

-1 and 3-I'm not sure, but probably an eroded orthocone nautiloid;

-6.2-I' see a crinoid stem;

-7.2-Brachiopods not bivalves;

-8-Associated brachiopods.One of them seems a spiriferid;

-9.1-Not Gryphaea (they're Mesozoic in age).Maybe Platyceras.

I agree with Wrangellian. If you look at the transverse sections of the specimens in pic #1 you can see a little hole in the middle of each one, which is the siphuncle crossing longitudinally through the chambers.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Really nice finds!

My opinions:

-1 and 3-I'm not sure, but probably an eroded orthocone nautiloid;

-6.2-I' see a crinoid stem;

-7.2-Brachiopods not bivalves;

-8-Associated brachiopods.One of them seems a spiriferid;

-9.1-Not Gryphaea (they're Mesozoic in age).Maybe Platyceras.

Wow very informative! You are correct , after much searching and new finds I have truly discovered our long lost crinoids of the past :) and even have a picture of one that was very large , maybe 10 cm diameter.

What is the difference between brachiopods and bivalves?

I call that thing a spirifer :P I am almost certain that these are gryphaea , I found a few more with their full body and shell intact , and the back lip of the shell doesn't swirl it slightly bends over and sometimes has 2 points.

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I agree with Wrangellian. If you look at the transverse sections of the specimens in pic #1 you can see a little hole in the middle of each one, which is the siphuncle crossing longitudinally through the chambers.

I have zero idea what holes youre talking about could you provide a picture with a box ?

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I hate to say this, but that is definitely not a belemnite and it is not opalized.

How can you say either of those things without any other words or proof ?

How can you say either of those things without any other words or proof ?

See above for the first claim. I was just confirming that. As to the opalization, I can see no signs of it in the photos since that's the only information I have from you. We're not writing a thesis here, just giving advice out of years of experience. Can you prove beyond a doubt that it's opalized? That would interest me since I could of course be wrong.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree it's an orthoconic nautiloid. I don't think it's opalized but there is apparently some iridescent shell which is scarce in the Palaeozoic.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

There are some differences between both (brachiopod and bivalve):

-The brachiopods have a sessil lifestyle .They are suspended for a pedicle and for that, they have a hole (foramen) in the extreme of the pedicle valve.Bivalves don't have that.

-Generally, Bivalves have an axial symmetry plane different of Brachiopods.

post-18967-0-10844100-1443101627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guguita2104

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

abyss I will take detailed pictures for you tomorrow of those spots , I can almost gaurentee that a rainbow iridescence is on this piece a very concentrated part and then a softer more lustery cloudy silvery soft rainbow colored parts. , the pictures cant do it justice , I am using a crappy digital camera , I really feel amateur here and im just trying to slowly fit in , Everyone in the community treats me so much like a part of it and I love it here. tomorrow I promise to get pictures for everyone .

Ps abyss the bottom chamber piece actually has 2 shell holes where the end is there and it looks like eyes or holes but its just two shells , I could be wrong but ill look into it tomorrow , Today I found some very new interesting finds that have been crystalised.

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I agree it's an orthoconic nautiloid. I don't think it's opalized but there is apparently some iridescent shell which is scarce in the Palaeozoic.

I think you are sooo right! It def has a iridescense , like I called it opalization because it popped to my head , I don't fully understand opalization tbh but it is a rainbow nacre to say the least! and you Id'd it correctly , It looks like the pictures on google! nice job!

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

There are some differences between both (brachiopod and bivalve):

-The brachiopods have a sessil lifestyle .They are suspended for a pedicle and for that, they have a hole (foramen) in the extreme of the pedicle valve.Bivalves don't have that.

-Generally, Bivalves have an axial symmetry plane different of Brachiopods.

attachicon.gifFig4.jpg

WOWWW I never understood this until you explained it correctly . I was always like so theres another set of wings somewhere ? IO never got it! now I get it ! thank you! have a good night everyone , until tomorrow , goodnight!