Best way to stabilize shell?

JoyH

I have a number of baculites segments with shell in place including some that are nearly completely covered. What is the best way to stabilize the shell without damaging or dulling it?

Can you show pics? More often than not, mollusk fossils need no treatment, and even when people think they're protecting or beautifying it, they end up actually damaging it or lowering the value. If stuff flakes off when you so much as look at it wrong, then that's another story.

a thin coat of 1/2 water and 1/2 white glue (ie...Elmers) will help stabilize the specimen. If the matrix is loose (sand, chalk, marl) it will bind the matrix together.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

If you've got some 'flaky' stuff, one of the easiest and best ways to stabilize is to simply brush on some floor wax. it also brings out color if it has any. Hope this helps.

RB