How to clean this Trilobite?

Velociraptor99

Hello TFF, I'm a little confused. I know nothing about preparation of fosdils, and am not particularly good at working with my hands. I found this trilobite on my last hunt with the North Coast Fossil Club. Found It loose like this, prepped by nature herself. All I need to do is clean it, however, no idea how to do it without hurting the fossil. It's made of hard dolomite that my sledgehamner has difficult time breaking, so the bug should be fairly stable.

post-18599-0-07755600-1444520582_thumb.jpg

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Since there is no exoskeleton preserved, there is no 'parting line' between the fossil impression and the adhering matrix. You could try poking at it with a pin vise (in an inconspicuous place) to see whether it will clean up without being boogered up, but be gentle.

I think it looks neat the way it is :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cal, if you mean by just a molt, it's not that as it has its intact "cheecks". The thing is, there's hardened dirt in between the thorax segments, pretty stuck in there, don't think just a tooth brush will fix that. Thank you for the suggestions.

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

It's an internal cast; the exoskeleton is gone.

I used to collect the trilobites at Gore, VA, and they are preserved the same way.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmm, still doesn't make it any less cool. So tooth brush and water, that's it? Ok thanks guys!!

Edited by Velociraptor99