Heart Attack Crab !

RJB

Today I had the courage to start a big crab concretion. I did pick out the dorsal side of this crab and went on the prep attack. I did notice some fractures in the rock but just figured that they were just surface cracks? Ha!! I just got started taking off rock from the top and then,,,,,, HEART ATTACK!!! it literally fell into pieces!!! That easy, just fell apart!!! After I got my witts back, I was then simply disgusted and saved the little tiny pieces and put everything aside. its going to take me several days to get this glued back together and cut rock off with my tile saw and then go from there. Never had a crab do this before. Very very disappointing. Oh, I put an average sized concretion crab on the side to show the size of this rock.

RB

post-171-0-40329100-1444777349_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-42703200-1444777358_thumb.jpg

Been there thats why my bar is always stocked. ;)

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I was cleaning barnacles off a meg the other day and broke one of the lobes off so I feel your pain.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Here's something to cheer you up and show you that everything is possible. Axel Cordes is renowned on this side of the ocean for his preparation work on the crabs out of the Oligocene concretions from Lyby in Denmark, which have a tendency to fall into little bits if you breathe on them too hard. Here's a report on one of his jobs. It's in German, but a picture speaks a thousand words.

http://www.steinkern.de/praeparation-und-bergung/tips-tricks-und-fallbeispiele/693-neuer-praeparationsbericht-ueber-eine-lybykrabbe.html

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Ok, I took this thing to the Triage department and they figured out how to put it back together. Then I took it to the Clamp and Glue department and we did the ole double clamper trick! WoooooHoooooo!!! I still have to glue and clamp on one more piece, but after that, its back to the Prep Attack!!! This may take awhile?

RB

post-171-0-70037200-1444863659_thumb.jpg

Here's something to cheer you up and show you that everything is possible. Axel Cordes is renowned on this side of the ocean for his preparation work on the crabs out of the Oligocene concretions from Lyby in Denmark, which have a tendency to fall into little bits if you breathe on them too hard. Here's a report on one of his jobs. It's in German, but a picture speaks a thousand words.

http://www.steinkern.de/praeparation-und-bergung/tips-tricks-und-fallbeispiele/693-neuer-praeparationsbericht-ueber-eine-lybykrabbe.html

Now that looks like a pain in the periproct.

Ok, here is my concretion now. it took awhile and now its at the stage I was at a few days ago. Ha! and now im out of time for fossils. Got some real work to do. I will get back to this when I can.

RB